Frame progress

Started by moose, December 30, 2007, 10:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

Thanks to Charlie and the scrap pile I have put together a frame jig. I always wanted one and putting togethjer the frame for my Coupe project was a good excuse. Here are a few pics of the project as it stands.....

kb426

Nice addition to the garage.
TEAM SMART

Bib_Overalls

Pretty substantial.  Are you going to leave  it where is is when the frame is done or ?????
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Bugpac

I to have built one, thanks to Charlie... :D  I got to say, it is definetley a PITA... To get the rails ready to build the jig around it, Im setting a floor pan on mine tomorrow to make sure she fits, then i am finishing the chassis...Looks great BTW...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

moose

KB,

Yep it makes a solid stout holder while welding...

Bib,

I made it totally modular so when we get the frames done it can be taken apart and stored. Also easier to transport if needed somewhere else.

Bug,

Set-up does take a while but we already had the rails contoured and spaced to fit the Model A body. see  here...
http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7107&highlight=  
No movement when welding. Saves chasing it across the floor and no back strain bending over!

Tim

Charlie Chops 1940

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

moose

modified the front frame horns and made a V spreader bar also included a pic of the trusses I added to the frame prior to boxing. Plan is to rossette weld the boxing plates to tie the rail sides together. Major over-kill but will be a stought frame when done.....

Bugpac

Looks good, i was debating trussing mine, decided not to, I boxed my rails in the jig, since my front cross member didn't reach to the outside anyhow, i decided i would weld it to the plates, i did put some flat stock behind were the cross member welds to make it solid and crush proof right there....I wont be boxing another set i can tell you that... :D with pre boxed and nutted rails being just about another 250 bux, i will be going that route next time....
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

kb426

What is the drive train plan?
TEAM SMART

moose

If I were building one fro a Deuce that would be a real good time saver but because of the many mods we did to reshape the side profile to ffit my Coupe I really had no choice. Oh Well its only time :roll:

Charlie Chops 1940

So, the taper cut was to return the front of the rail to the same height as it was before you cut a couple inches off? Just cuz?

Nice work on the internal trusses - does look like a bit of overkill - but don't guess it'll hurt anything.

What's your x-member or k-member gonna look like?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

moose

Quote from: "kb426"What is the drive train plan?

Currently I have a built 327 planned for it but have been considering a BIG block.

moose

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"So, the taper cut was to return the front of the rail to the same height as it was before you cut a couple inches off? Just cuz?

Taper cut was to bring it to the size of my spreader bar. I used 1 1/2" tube instead of 2". Would have saved some time but I like the look of the smaller diameter. And it will visually lower the front.

Nice work on the internal trusses - does look like a bit of overkill - but don't guess it'll hurt anything.

What's your x-member or k-member gonna look like?

Charlie

Gonna probable do something similar to the So-Cal chassis. I will brace both directions from the ladder bar cross member in an X. Not sure yet if I will use  a single or double tube center.