Daily driver question, 2.0L Ford

Started by jaybee, December 19, 2007, 12:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

Quote from: "wayne petty"hmmm... time to dig deeper..

and the cheep home made twin cam belt sprocket holding tool in a nut, a bolt , and two washers that are big enough to fit between the sprockets about an inch and a half apart   this locks one sprocket agenst the other so they cannot turn

i gotta try that!!!!! :lol:
that's so simple it's gotta work and i hate buyin' tools anymore....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

jaybee

I haven't updated this for a while, but then again I didn't work on it for a while either, what with Christmas, traveling to see family on Saturday, and other "life" issues.  Anyway, I took Friday and today off so I'm back at it.  Cams are timed properly so that's out.  The shop foreman at work clued me in that he had one that behaved exactly like this.  He was surprised to find out it acted just like a slipped timing belt and the culprit turned out to be a camshaft position sensor.  Now I have it out, will try changing it later today if I can't figure out how to test it first.  like most things on a late model it's simple to get out but you can't get a torx driver on the one screw that holds it in without removing the exhaust manifold heat shield to drop the cat converter.  It mounts to the bellhousing flange at the back of the engine.  Oh well.  I also get to change the dipstick, which just broke off in my hand when I tried to pull it to check the oil!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "jaybee"My daily driver 2000 Contour has developed a sudden case of the no runs.  

in some situations "no runs" is a good thing.

that is a * cleaver idear that wayne has the cam lock bolt tool....

i think my vw diesel has only one camshaft.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

[quote Now I have it out, will try changing it later today if I can't figure out how to test it first. quote]

this is how to test it
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/cb/7c/0900823d801bcb7c/repairInfoPages.htm

jaybee

With no suitable bench test for the crank sensor but all signs pointing toward it as the culprit I took a chance.  Not a big chance at $18 & change but I do what I can to not throw parts at a car.  Fixed it right up, now it starts almost as fast as the starter engages.  Thanks everyone for your help.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "jaybee"With no suitable bench test for the crank sensor but all signs pointing toward it as the culprit I took a chance.  Not a big chance at $18 & change but I do what I can to not throw parts at a car.  Fixed it right up, now it starts almost as fast as the starter engages.  Thanks everyone for your help.

kool , you got the vehicle fixed up now.

a fellow at work had intermittent  stalling / no-start problems with his wife's low mileage 10 yr old Neon.. People told him the crank sensor never goes bad.. so he dealt with all other parts.

so , after a few weeks of trouble and parts replacement  he pulled the crank sensor out.  The sensor was good  BUT, the wires to it were melted together and would rub / short out .
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)