Fenderwell headers BBC

Started by Mikej, November 30, 2007, 02:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikej

I want to get rid of my shorty headers and go to full length headers. Just wondering if anyone has had them on 35 or 36 chevys? The ones I'm looking at also fit 55-57 chevys. Patriots. Maybe another brand. I can buy the unfinished ones local and have them coated for less then buying the coated ones. Just wondering if they will get to hot and damage the fenders paint or any other draw back?

Jokester

I used 55-57 SBC fenderwells on my 39 Chevy.  Started blistering on the tops of the fenders even though I had almost 2 inches to spare.  I created an insulated barrier between the header and the fender.  Used some aluminum sheet and sandwiched in some asbestos sheet between.  Never had another problem, even after the new paint went on.  I did have to notch the tubes about 2" out from the head and bend them down a little to clear, but they worked file.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

phat rat

Why not buy a set of long ones other than fenderwells that are for something else. I imagine either way you're going to have to do some cutting and fitting. If I remember correctly the first set on my cpe were for a BBC Nova, the second set I started with ones for a truck. Just cut and fit as needed.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Mikej

There is very little room inside of the frame rails. They would all need to come to the center and than down like the shortys. I haven't see any like that for the BBC. I figured I would have to do some triming. Thats why I want to get the uncoated ones first.

Mikej

Quote from: "Jokester"I used 55-57 SBC fenderwells on my 39 Chevy.  Started blistering on the tops of the fenders even though I had almost 2 inches to spare.  I created an insulated barrier between the header and the fender.  Used some aluminum sheet and sandwiched in some asbestos sheet between.  Never had another problem, even after the new paint went on.  I did have to notch the tubes about 2" out from the head and bend them down a little to clear, but they worked file.

.bjb

That was what I thought might be a problem. I was thinking the ceramic coating and some wrap might  work. Just had the fenders redone a year ago so I would like to keep for burning the paint.

phat rat

Quote from: "Mikej"There is very little room inside of the frame rails. They would all need to come to the center and than down like the shortys. I haven't see any like that for the BBC. I figured I would have to do some triming. Thats why I want to get the uncoated ones first.

Sounds like a case of building what you need to fit the space you have

Charlie Chops 1940

That header wrap stuff is no good for cars that get driven. The wrap gets wet and rusts underneath. Don't plan that as your solution.

Are you doing this for looks or performance? If the latter I dare say that the shorty headers will give you all the performance that the seat of your pants can detect. I used Hooker shorties on my 468 in my '61 Chevy and fed them into 2.5" pipe. I believe the driveability was probably better because it bled of some of the awesome bottom end.

Not everything that works for the drags, for instance, is street performance friendly.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Mikej

Good point on the wrap getting wet. Yes it gets driven. I'm looking for performance. The angle where the pipes hook up to the shortys now is not very good. I'm looking to improve this. The headers I have know have been welded several times and need to be replaced. Just looking for the best option.

Mikej

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "Mikej"There is very little room inside of the frame rails. They would all need to come to the center and than down like the shortys. I haven't see any like that for the BBC. I figured I would have to do some triming. Thats why I want to get the uncoated ones first.

Sounds like a case of building what you need to fit the space you have

Thought about making my own also but the kits are as much as a set of headers. Daryle(40) knows a guy in Sioux City that would custom make them also. I'm not a very good welder but could tack the up and have them finished.

phat rat

I just took a already built set and cut them up and redid them to fit my application. I have a Nova sub on the cpe and the motor is set back 1 1/2" from stock so there isn't a production made header that will fit, not even block huggers.

btrc

Mike,
  I've got a friend that has coated S & S fenderwell headers (from Arizona) on his '37 chev with a BBC.  He hasn't had any problem with the paint on his fenders and has had them on for several years.  They were a little long though so I cut off the collector flange, shortened the collectors and welded the flange back on.  It didn't even hurt the coating enough to notice.  We are also using S & S fenderwell headers on Dan's '38 chevy we are building right now with a 396.
  I originaly had header wrap on my 427 Cobra and didn't have any real problems with that except for appearance in 10 years.  About 8 years ago I had the headers coated and I think it is almost cooler in the engine compartment now then it was with the wrpped headers.

Bob
Bob

Mikej

I bought the fenderwell headers. They didn't just bolt up. I had to cut and cut and cut. More cutting.............. I did get the drivers side done. Looks ok. I'm not the best welder. Used a torch. I couldn't resist starting it up. It sure sounds good with one open header. The lights in the house were vibrating. The smoke detectors went off too ( the wife was impressed) but I couldn't hear them until I shut it off (did you know the fire alarms are going off says the wife). Can't wait to get the other side done. It might have been easier to buy the build your own kit. Any way it was the day before Christmas and I was sure  no one was going to get them for me so I made a mad dash to Speedway in Lincoln where Santa had left them. The other side won't be as easy. A/C lines and heater hoses. Will start tomorrow.

Mikej

I bought the fenderwell headers. They didn't just bolt up. I had to cut and cut and cut. More cutting.............. I did get the drivers side done. Looks ok. I'm not the best welder. Used a torch. I couldn't resist starting it up. It sure sounds good with one open header. The lights in the house were vibrating. The smoke detectors went off too ( the wife was impressed) but I couldn't hear them until I shut it off (did you know the fire alarms are going off says the wife). Can't wait to get the other side done. It might have been easier to buy the build your own kit. Any way it was the day before Christmas and I was sure  no one was going to get them for me so I made a mad dash to Speedway in Lincoln where Santa had left them. The other side won't be as easy. A/C lines and heater hoses. Will start tomorrow.