Changing a 700R4 from TBI to use a carburetor

Started by 47 ragtop, December 29, 2007, 11:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47 ragtop

I have a 1990 sbc and 700R4 from a G20 van. I want to change to a carb and lose the computer. Speedway has a 4th gear lock-up kit for $140.00 that includes a 4th gear pressure switch.vacuum control switch.lock-up solenoid ,and other components. Any pros or cons with using this kit? I am going to use a Holley carb and I have the linkage that bolts on to provide the correct TB cable geometry. I also have a large trans cooler. This is going in a 47 chevy coupe with a 3.73 S-10 rear axle.I appreciate any thoughts,ideas,suggrstions etc. Thanks in advance. Bill

enjenjo

It should work fine, I have done the same thing.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "47 ragtop"I have a 1990 sbc and 700R4 from a G20 van. I want to change to a carb and lose the computer. Speedway has a 4th gear lock-up kit for $140.00 that includes a 4th gear pressure switch.vacuum control switch.lock-up solenoid ,and other components. Any pros or cons with using this kit? I am going to use a Holley carb and I have the linkage that bolts on to provide the correct TB cable geometry. I also have a large trans cooler. This is going in a 47 chevy coupe with a 3.73 S-10 rear axle.I appreciate any thoughts,ideas,suggrstions etc. Thanks in advance. Bill

Personally I would recommend the TCI lockup kit.  I've run one for years and put a second in another vehicle and at about $70 from Summit they are about 1/2 of the one you mentioned and will give you a lot of control over how you want the lockup to work.

There is info on them and 700's in general on my site here:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/techinfo.html

Even though you have the linkage for the carb pay a lot of attention to how the TV cable is adjusted.

c ya,

Sum

47 ragtop

Thanks to both of you. Your site is tremendous,  Sumner. I appreciate all your info !!  Bill

sirstude

TCI is talking about a new unit for the 700 that controlls the pressure and only uses the tV cable to control when the shifts happen.  Dont' know how much, but sound pretty neat.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us