Jeep hydraulic clutches?

Started by 47convert, January 03, 2008, 12:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

47convert

My son has an old TJ and the clutch won't disengage. The fluid level was down but not dry. I noticed the clutch would engage with the pedal about 3/4' off the floor and then all of a sudden it's engaged all the time.. I filled the reservoir and tried to bleed the slave but all I get is oil - no air. There's no inspection plate and the slave seems to be in the bellhousing so before I pull the trans, I'm wondering if anyone's had anything similar happen. The clutch never slipped at all - I just towed a utility trailer with some building supplies in it a week or so before this happened and it drove well since. It did happen right after putting it in 4 wheel drive when we had that big snow dump just before Christmas. Thanx

wayne petty

bet it has an aluminum clutch master cylinder....

take it off and throw it away... put on a cast iron version from wagner.....

what happens is the angle of the push rod pushes up on the master piston...  this eats away at the first part of the bore so the seal does not make contact until it is partway down the bore.. this reduces the total displacement volume of the stroke...so the clutch won't disengauge...

Ed ke6bnl

yep ours went had to pull the trans and replace the slave unit, then the master went out. My girls car and she had just quit her job at the trans shop. they charged just for the parts and we went with silicon brake fluid with the install hoping to prevent water and its hydrophilic nature eating up the aluminum parts. Has lasted several years so far. Just a thought Ed
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

wayne petty

if it is not leaking at the slave .. change the clutch master first....

do try to pump enough fluid through the system to clean out any aluminum crap from the lines and slave cylinder...

it only takes 20 minutes to change the master..    it takes 3 to 5 hours to change the slave...