engine lifter

Started by enjenjo, December 18, 2007, 09:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I don't like to use chains to set an engine in place, too many chances to slip and mar hard work. and most of the adjustable lifters won't fit with a carb installed. So I ofter build a dedicated lifter for a particular engine. This is one I built for this LT1. It  took about an hour to whip it up out of scrap steel.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Frank, be careful, you're gonna run dry before Tech Week.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

WZ JUNK

Looks good and a good idea.

I wonder if there really is any such thing as scrap metal.  We may need to refer to it as random pieces of as yet unused metal.  I have accumulated a stock pile of such.  But I am a little junky.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

48builder

Quote from: "enjenjo"This is one I built for this LT1. It  took about an hour to whip it up out of scrap steel.

Hey Frank,

Does the front just slip over the TB? I wouldn't think that is strong enough.

BTW, do you know any way to oil prime an LT1? Mine has been sitting for 8 years, and I'd like to get some oil through it before trying to start it.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

Quote from: "48builder"
Quote from: "enjenjo"This is one I built for this LT1. It  took about an hour to whip it up out of scrap steel.

Hey Frank,

Does the front just slip over the TB? I wouldn't think that is strong enough.

BTW, do you know any way to oil prime an LT1? Mine has been sitting for 8 years, and I'd like to get some oil through it before trying to start it.

Walt

Yes it just slips over the throttle body. In this case the lift point was about 3" ahead of the rear of the engine, so there was not a lot of force on it. But since it's held on with 4 6mm bolts it should not be a problem any way.

The only way I know of priming it is with an external pressure oil tank through the cooler fittings, or the fitting just above the oil filter in the side of the block.

QuoteI wonder if there really is any such thing as scrap metal. We may need to refer to it as random pieces of as yet unused metal. I have accumulated a stock pile of such. But I am a little junky.

I save anything that looks useful, and eventually I use it. All the steel in the engine lifter had been used at least once befire, and some of it several times. Amd it will probably be recycled again.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.