Maybe it will be shorter by the first of the year

Started by GPster, December 20, 2007, 09:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

I'm shortening an S10 (S15) frame for the Jeepster. It's the SWB (108") and it's only loosing 4" to be Jeepster length. Because I have more room to spare between the back of the gas tank and the rear axel than I have between the front of the gas tank and the floor/seat base I'm doing the shortening differant than most. I'm re-mounting the rear springs front hangers 4" foreward and shortening the frame 4" in the flat section above the axel. This brings the shock mounts and the rear shackle bushings foreward the same amount. The frame is cut and everything is lined-up and clamped in it's new position. Now the question. I'll probably hunt someone up to do the welding and I've allowed 1/16" gap between the edges to be welded. It will probably be welded with my 220V "Buzz Box". What welding rod should I get. Most of the welding I do is with 3/32" or 1/8" 6013 rod, can I use this to tack it in place until I get someone to do the welding with your suggested rod. There was a time that I would have just welded this myself with whatever but my eyesight and coordination make it hard to find where the joint is supposed to be. GPster

enjenjo

6013 is fine for that job. Just make sure the metal is clean.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Been a long time since I used a buzzbox. 6013  is a medium penetration. 6011 will penetrate deeper. I'd say go for it.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!