garage exhaust fan

Started by papastoyss, October 12, 2007, 11:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

papastoyss

I would like to mount a exhaust fan in the back wall of my pole barn/shop. I need a 30 inch fan , about 1/2 hp. WW Grainger wants  $590. for this. OUCH   Anybody have a line on something comparable/cheaper?
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

wayne petty

do you want a fan for exhausting tail pipe fumes???? ducted up from hi temp flex hoses shoved over the tips of teh exhaust or do you want a wall mounted gable fan with shutters from home depot/lowes

clipped shamelissly from hd

Master Flow 24 In. Direct Drive Whole House Fan With Shutter
Model WHFS24M

( i bet this fan blows out not in...)

Direct Drive Whole House Fans pull cool air in from outside and push hot air up and out into the attic cooling your home. These fans are designed to work with or without central ducting in houses over 1000 sq. ft.

Quiet Operation direct drive reduces noise and vibration
Pulls cool fresh air in from outside while pushing hot air up into the attic
Designed for houses over 1000 sq. ft.
Works with or with out central air /heating systems
MFG Brand Name : Master Flow
MFG Model # : WHFS24M
MFG Part # : WHFS24M

rooster

I would try home depo or Lowes , there are atic fans made that blow out the vents located at the side of a house, it would be smaller than 30" though!

1FATGMC

This might not help you, but maybe someone out west.  Out here people cool their houses with swamp coolers and often throw them away once they start leaking water, so you can often find them free (I got two this way).  I wanted an exhaust fan to get rid of paint fumes at my old house and new house so I used one of the ones I found.

In normal operation these take in outside air through the wet pads on 3 sides if it is a side mount swamp cooler and blow the air into the house.  I turned it around so that the outlet pointed out (left arrow) and blocked off two of the inlets (right arrow) with wood and attached the remaining inlet to a opening in the building.

Now it draws air out of the building.

The motor is usually located inside of the cooler, but since I was going to be exhausting fumes that could ignite. I cut a slot in the top and moved the motor to the top of the unit (arrow) and attached a longer belt.  These things move a lot of air and there are normally two speeds available.

In your area where you probably can't find a used swamp cooler I would look into finding a furnace that has been replaced and see about getting the blower out of it.

Good luck,

Sum

wayne petty

wow sumner... i have used 4 and 5 ton blowers out of forced air furnaces for years to cool hallways and rooms... i ajusted one to top speed by tightening the ajustable pulley and almost blew mom off her feet as she walked past.  i even have a small unit on the floor  that cools great... the cats like it also... they sharpen the nails in it... wwwrrrrrrrrrrr....

enjenjo

I have a furnace blower and motor mounted to a portable cart that I use in my shop. You can mount it to a wall inside, blowing out. It will move a lot of air.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

I had about a 24 inch in my old shop (i wish id have taken it) it worked great. As far as cooling i have a window air conditioner that works well. If i sell the roadster and add on to the garage then i need to re think things.. Right now my exhaust fan for painting is a window fan actually just a fan in front of the window.. I was in my old shop last year no it was 2 years ago and i didnt look to see if the fan was still there..
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

35WINDOW

1fat GMC,

What a great idea! I have been trying to figure out how to exhaust some Paint fumes out of my Shop and you have given me the answer-you are right-I have seen at least two of those thrown away around here this Summer-

papastoyss

I found out about a company called Global Industrial  on Garage Journal. I bought a 30 in. fan w/ shutter attached for  $280 but I had to pay $104 truck freight to get it halfway across Tenn.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!