Coupe update

Started by Daveyboy, December 15, 2007, 04:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveyboy

Took it all apart for powder coating and now its back.
Here are some pic.

Bugpac

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

enjenjo

Looking good to me, I like black frames.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Looking good Davey..
Dave

Daveyboy

Ok i am trying to figer out how or what to use to paint my Mortor.  
I want it gloss black so i can clean it easy.  
Tell me how you all would do it?

donsrods

Your frame and parts look great.  We are getting close to having the frame and suspension stuff powder coated on my Kids '29 and have never had this process done.  Getting tired of painting stuff so we are going to try it.

As for painting engines, we have always used epoxy primer then simply top coated it with whatever auto enamel you like.  The secret is the epoxy primer as it will bite into the block (after it is ground and properly degreased) then you can use your favorite color and type of top coat over that. It holds up great and keeps it's shine for years and years.

I first used this method on the engine in my '27 about 20 years ago, and have continued doing it through our current cars, including my T modified.

Don

Dave

I painted mine with regular engine paint then i decided to go red so i scuffed it all up and used 2 part urethane on it.. I hope it doesnt fall off. I shoulda used epoxy primer too but i dont think i did.. (CRS)..
Dave

Dave

Quote from: "Crosley"painting engines;

back in the 1980's when i worked on some muscle car restorations.. I first used urethane paint with catalyst for some Olds motors in W-30 cars.  I had the colour matched to a OE part off one engine.

the customer was so happy with the engine compartment I thought he would never stop yapping about it.  After that I used the urethane on near all parts where a nice shine was allowed.  The paints held up well with the engine heat.

Proper prep work is the key to any paint job. I used carb spray and brake clean to degrease the motors.  I used epoxy and etching primers with equal results.  Paints have changed quite a bit since then... be careful and informed on the products you use.

8)

Thats where you and I differ.. I cant hardly read so sue tells me what it says on the can for prep and mixing then i just do it my way.. Just cause these people make paint dont mean they know how to apply it..
Dave :wink:

Daveyboy

OK I GOT ALL THAT.
How do you fix powder coating chip?? Of course its on top in front of the rad shell and lights  
I just found one when i unwrapped the front horns rails and have not done anything up there yet? Can you get powder coating and a HOT Light and get it to look good. Or just black single stage and buff it in? :x  :x

Dave

Quote from: "Daveyboy"OK I GOT ALL THAT.
How do you fix powder coating chip?? Of course its on top in front of the rad shell and lights  
I just found one when i unwrapped the front horns rails and have not done anything up there yet? Can you get powder coating and a HOT Light and get it to look good. Or just black single stage and buff it in? :x  :x

hopefully someone can help you on that Davey.. I sure cant.. I see the purpose of powder coat but ive seen the effects of having chips and water getting under the coating so im not a big fan of it.. Im gonna guess here and say single stage and a little rubbing..
dave :wink:

Bugpac

I think you can melt some powder and fix it if its small...But, you should not have a chip if it was done right, I had a chassi done few yrs back, I was being really carefull loading it, the guy laughed at me and asked what the problem was, I told him i didnt want to mess it up, he hit it with a ball peen hammer and laughed at me, said if i ever had a problem give him a call...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****