Emissions testing question

Started by unklian, May 31, 2004, 01:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unklian

My car just failed the manditory emissions testing to renew the plate.
It's a '95 Caprice,350 fuel injected,motor is stock.

Limit        Reading
HC ppm            53            0
CO%               0.29        0.00
NO ppm           380          492

I know that our crappy Canadian gas doesn't help,
but family obligations have prevented me from getting to Buffalo for some good gas.

There is a slight leak on one of the exhaust manifolds,could it suck in enough air to throw off the results?
Or how about the EGR valve ?

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

unklian

Just looking at the test results again,they input the wrong size motor.
4.3L instead of 5.7.
And they used a higher test weight than last time. :evil:
Any chance this would cause the system to default to a lower limit?

How difficult is it to change the EGR vakve on these motors?

parklane

I've been told that if you put several cans of gas line antifreeze in the tank, and take the car for a good run before getting it tested, it's supposed to help. Don't shut the car off when you get there, to keep the engine hot. Hope this helps.
John   :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

58Apache

Put in the highest octane gas you can find. I understand that higher octane has additives that make it burn longer and more complete.

Run it hard for a half an hour or more .....flooring it many times. If you have to wait in a long line the car will get too cool. I believe that the hotter the catalitic converter gets the more efficient it becomes as well.

My HC's on my 95 Chevy truck with a 5.7L were at 53 also and I think the limit was 50. The guy said that usually they fail by a lot if something was really wrong. He recommended I run it hard for a while to blow it out.

I did that, came back, had to wait in line a little while, but kept it at a high idle.

The second time around it passed easily. Make double sure that engine has been running for a long while before testing. Try to go to another testing location or at least a different bay if possible. It could be a slight calibration issue.