Rodders Digest

Started by gazza2947, December 13, 2007, 06:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gazza2947

Does this Magazine still exist?

I paid for a two year subscription - received one magazine and nothing since.
a hot rod doesn\'t need a roof; but it does need louvres...

Bib_Overalls

I had some problems with my subscription.  Went to their web site, grabbed the "Contacts" email address and sent them a bomb.

The fixed me up pronto.

Talked with them at the NSRA Nationals and I got the impression they are serious about customer service.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

donsrods

Didn't it go away for a while and then they resurrected it?

Don

phat rat

Went away in 99 came back about 3 or so years ago. The mag is now published by Buckaroo Communications
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

UGLY OLDS

Its still out there ..( I have all from vol 1 #1 to date) ...They are VERY serious about customer service...Never had a problem...At times you can call & ask for the editor by name & he will answer your call..The will also answer your e-mails... VERY -VERY regular Rodder type people...You be nice to them...They will be extra nice to you...

For the serious collector..

Volume 18...#89 ( Apr '99)  is when they stopped printing after going through some ownership changes...

Buckaroo Publications brought them back in Feb. '04 with volume 19...#90

The issues are numbered consecutively from #1 on...( #1 was published in Spring of '81)

They were sometimes published quarterly....Most times monthly..Some times they would publish 10 issues a year....
BUT .....ALL the issues are numbered consecutively....

Hope this helps....

Bob...
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

gazza2947

apparently overseas subscriptions are handled by an independent organisation, and emails to them haven't been replied to.

I'll try rodders digest email - thanks guys.
a hot rod doesn\'t need a roof; but it does need louvres...

donsrods

I always liked it because it seemed to be done by regular guys, not some of the ones who do 1-800-buildarod.  I also liked Tex Smiths Hotrod Mechanix. It merged with I think R and C for a while but that ended.

Tex seemed to like lowbuck stuff which is fine with me.

Don

phat rat

Quote from: "donsrods"I always liked it because it seemed to be done by regular guys, not some of the ones who do 1-800-buildarod.  I also liked Tex Smiths Hotrod Mechanix. It merged with I think R and C for a while but that ended.

Don

I got the new version for a while, but I felt it wasn't the same so finally I dropped it.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

unklian

There was a Magazine Subscription Fullfillment warehouse
that burned to the ground last week in NJ.

Any chance they handled the foreign subs ?

Doesn't matter,if you sent your money to Buckaroo,they can take care of it.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "donsrods"I always liked it because it seemed to be done by regular guys, not some of the ones who do 1-800-buildarod.  I also liked Tex Smiths Hotrod Mechanix. It merged with I think R and C for a while but that ended.

Don

I have a full set of those also..... First issue was Sept of '87 . Last dedicated issue was July of '96..In Nov of '96 it was "incorporated" with American Rodder for quite a while...Sort of a "Low Buck" section of American Rodder......I agree with Don..LOTS of neat "Low Cost" articles ...Defiantly a "builders book" so to speak...Not for the "Gold Chainers" ...Rumor had it that's what caused it to fail...Soo many lowbuck articles that advertising became an issue...Why should I spend my money to advertise with you when all your articles incorporate "junkyard parts" ...( Which most of them did...)

At the end Ol' Tex was trying to sell stock in the company...If I remember correctly , some folks may have gotten "burnt" ...
HRMx  was kinda like Rodders Digest with "used parts" ....Really kind of a neat book..I refer back to them often for ideas...

Again..Hope it helps...Bob...

river1

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"

Don

I have a full set of those also..... First issue was Sept of '87 . Last dedicated issue was July of '96..In Nov of '96 it was "incorporated" with American Rodder for quite a while...Sort of a "Low Buck" section of American Rodder......I agree with Don..LOTS of neat "Low Cost" articles ...Defiantly a "builders book" so to speak...Not for the "Gold Chainers" ...Rumor had it that's what caused it to fail...Soo many lowbuck articles that advertising became an issue...Why should I spend my money to advertise with you when all your articles incorporate "junkyard parts" ...( Which most of them did...)

At the end Ol' Tex was trying to sell stock in the company...If I remember correctly , some folks may have gotten "burnt" ...
HRMx  was kinda like Rodders Digest with "used parts" ....Really kind of a neat book..I refer back to them often for ideas...

Again..Hope it helps...Bob...

i THINK i have a full set of Tex's book also :roll:

how many issues are there? i'll have to dig them out to see how many i have.

thanks jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

UGLY OLDS

Quotei THINK i have a full set of Tex's book also :roll:

how many issues are there? i'll have to dig them out to see how many i have.

thanks jim
[/quote]

Should be 36 dedicated issues before being combined with American Rodder .. Starting with Sept '87 ..Ending with July '96 , printed  6 times a year.....The only accurate way to keep track of them is by " Vol. & Issue #'s"......

Call me crazy, but I too lost interest when the magazines were combined & ladies were "added" .....There are dedicated mags if that is what you're after...I preferred the " How To" stuff....

Bob the "Prude" ... :oops: