Need ideas on bending aluminum.

Started by enjenjo, May 25, 2004, 01:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I am making a piece of trim, from billet aluminum, when done it has to be bent to fit the curve of a hood, a large radius, 2 to 3 ft.

The trim is thicker and wider at the front, about 1 1/2" wide, and nearly an inch thick, and it's about 1/2" square at the rear. The piece needs most of the bend at the front, not much at the rear.

Any suggestions?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

nzsimon

Why not make it out of balsa then get it cast in either alloy or brass and get it chromed will look much better chromed than polished alloy will ever look
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

Leon

I agree that a cast piece would look better.  If you do use aluminum make it out of an alloy like 3003 that can be worked better after anealing.  If you use something like 6061 it will probably crack at that thickness

SKR8PN

Can you make it out of stainless?? No need for chroming when you are done,just polish it. Stainless works pretty easy,you could shape it with a grinder and a D/A,and you could probably bend it between a couple pieces of pipe welded to your work bench.
$.02
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

GPster

I would assume that because this is going on a hood, it will be flat on the hood surface side. Can you cut the hood profile on a 2 X 6 (1 1/2 x 5 1/2) so that you have something solid to form it to? I don't know if there is any "spring-back" when bending aluminum but you can trim your form if you need more. I imagine it being bent to the form with "C" clamps from one end to the other. Think of the bend being accomplished more like an eletrical condiut bend than a structural steel bend. GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "nzsimon"Why not make it out of balsa then get it cast in either alloy or brass and get it chromed will look much better chromed than polished alloy will ever look

We no longer have a foundry locally, but that is not a bad idea. Some time back I had to repair or replace a tail light stand, looked into geting one cast, and I couldn't find any one interested. I'll give this one some more thought.

enjenjo

Quote from: "Leon"I agree that a cast piece would look better.  If you do use aluminum make it out of an alloy like 3003 that can be worked better after anealing.  If you use something like 6061 it will probably crack at that thickness

Unfortunately the material I have is 6061 :cry:  I did some testing with a scrap I have here, and it appears it will bend enough for my purposes.

I do have a large pinch roller, I might try bending it with that. My idea there is to make the area where the most bend is needed thicker, so it with change radius naturally when rolling. I have two pieces to work with, so I can only sacrifice one :lol:

enjenjo

Quote from: "SKR8PN"Can you make it out of stainless?? No need for chroming when you are done,just polish it. Stainless works pretty easy,you could shape it with a grinder and a D/A,and you could probably bend it between a couple pieces of pipe welded to your work bench.
$.02

I am concerned about weight, this is a base to support a neked lady hood ornament that weighs a couple pounds, and in stainless, I thinkit would be heavier than I want. I have pretty much ruled out brass or copper for the same reason

enjenjo

Quote from: "GPster"I would assume that because this is going on a hood, it will be flat on the hood surface side. Can you cut the hood profile on a 2 X 6 (1 1/2 x 5 1/2) so that you have something solid to form it to? I don't know if there is any "spring-back" when bending aluminum but you can trim your form if you need more. I imagine it being bent to the form with "C" clamps from one end to the other. Think of the bend being accomplished more like an eletrical condiut bend than a structural steel bend. GPster

I have been considering this too Joe. My though was a metal form, so I could use a bit of heat to help it along. I'm thinking that I could clamp one end tight to the form, put some pressure on the other end with a clamp, and heat it, while pulling it down to conform to the pattern.

C9

Could you do something along the lines of cut multi-kerfs, bend and weld back together?

Weld the kerfs completely, smooth them down and polish.

This done in the thick area only - it looks like your roller would take care of the subtle bend required in the middle and back, unless that area is all flat.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

enjenjo

Quote from: "C9"Could you do something along the lines of cut multi-kerfs, bend and weld back together?

Weld the kerfs completely, smooth them down and polish.

This done in the thick area only - it looks like your roller would take care of the subtle bend required in the middle and back, unless that area is all flat.

That may be necessary to get the shape I want using the roller. The curve goes the full length of the peice, more radius at the front, less at the rear.