Seat score!

Started by 48builder, December 05, 2007, 11:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I'd been looking for some seats for the '48. I had been looking at Chevy Silverado truck seats, since I wanted integrated seat belts. I won't drive a car with them, and it can be a pain to get shoulder belts mounted and then they get in the way.

I put out a query on the web, and ended up buying a complete interior (all seats and center console) from a 2004 Saab convertible. I found them in Mobile, AL. They are leather, full power both sides with power lumbar and are heated. The best part is they are a perfect color for my car, so I don't have to recover them. And, I think they are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in.

However, I do have to clean them up a little. Any opinions on the best stuff to use? I was looking at htis stuff on egay. These seats have no big cracks, but they do have the normal cracking that occurs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JAGUAR-X-type-S-type-Vanden-Plas-XJ6-XJS-XK8-leather_W0QQitemZ180186913394QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33701QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

I've had good success with Lexol leather treatment.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

papastoyss

Don't use a product called Greased Lightning on leather. It will disolve the dye, Wonder how I know ? It's called learning the hard way.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Danimal

We shouldn't have but in a pinch, white wall cleaner will work. But I wouldn't recommend it on a car you plan to keep!

enjenjo

A comment about the seats, since the belts and harness are built in, they need a much stronger mount that the older seats did. Make sure you take that into account, ok it will be false security.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

2buck

Many years ago I used waterless hand cleaner on the vinyl/naugahyde seats in my car which were solid from working in the junk yard. It was non abrasive and had lanolin added to prevent your hands from drying out.
I recently used the hand cleaner on the steering wheel on my street rod which was covered in some type of vinyl/leather(?) because it was soiled from 20 years of presperation. It cleaned up well, even around the stitiching.
I was going to try to use something similar on the leather seats in my wife's car. :D