What I did last summer...

Started by 29abone, November 30, 2007, 04:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29abone

Greetings to all. The brake pedal in my 56 FA-100 has always been to high and to hard.  So, I decided to add the missing underfloor bumper.  While replacing the bumper, I noticed that the brake clevis was in the wrong hole resulting in the hard pedal.  I changed the clevis to the correct hole.  Now since my hands are totally numb, this took days.  If a bolt or nut is in an awkward position, it can take 1-3 hours to assemble something.  

While underneath, I noticed that the gas line went way past the fuel pump and came back with a rubber hose.  Well we have to fix that, right.  removed the line from the fuel pump and the gas started pouring out.  I grabbed a pair of vise grips and clamped the flex line at the tank.  Not a smart move on a 50 year old flex line. Had to disconnect the hard line inside the cab.  Have to order and replace the flex line.  Back to the front.  I cut the gas line and tried to bend it without a bender.  Guess what?  It kinked.  Bought a cheap tubing bender and a short piece of line,  flared the old line,reconnected, added a couple of clips and was all set.

Went on a local cruise and it stalled several times and had to be hauled home.  Thought the gas line was to close to the exhaust, added another clip.  Still not getting gas to the carb.  Checked and it seemed like it was not getting gas from the tank.  Pulled driver seat and removed gas tank.  Cleaned rustproofing off outside of tank,  cleaned inside at car wash and found a couple pieces of solder.  Painted tank and reinstalled.  Installed see through gas filter, still no gas.  Fuel pump seems bad.  Replace fuel pump, starts and runs fine.  While I have the seat out I decide to remove non-functioning alarm and tape deck, and straighten up some wiring.  Reinstall instrument panel that has been out for 2 years.  Let truck down off jack stands start it up,step on brakes, NO BRAKES!!! This is in October, end of season!!!

I ordered a complete power disc brake conversion.  This is my winter and spring project.  Come summer, i'll tell you how I spent my winter.

That was my summer.  * I love hot rods and trucks!

Mery Christmas to all,
Larry
Larry

The joy is in the journey.

enjenjo

QuoteI ordered a complete power disc brake conversion. This is my winter and spring project. Come summer, i'll tell you how I spent my winter.

Who's conversion did you order? I have done two this year using No Limit Engineering kits.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

29ABONE,what's wrong with your hands?
TEAM SMART

Dave

Larry good to see ya here again....
Dave :arrow:

Charlie Chops 1940

Man, you've been on a real tear ain't ya? Buying lottery tickets would be a waste of your time.

I've had a couple string of those kind of days, weeks, months before too. Hand in there.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

29abone

KB426, my hands and feet are numb because I have an inherited peripheral neuropathy.  It is similar to diabetic neuropathy but has a different cause.  At the present there is no cure, but it is not life threatening.

Enjenjo, I researched several kits including No Limit, CPP, ECI and Speedway.  I priced all of the components separately as well as complete kits.  I ruled out No Limit and Speedway because they said they used Metric calipers, ECI because they just went to new calipers and had a significant price increase.  Cpp uses new GM large calipers and I received a very good price for the complete power disc brake conversion including 8" dual booster, Corvette master cylinder and combination valve, all new, for $699.00
Larry

39deluxe

I've used parts form CPP and ECI. Both quality companies. The new CPP proportioning valve I installed was an absolute bargain compared to even a remanufactured '72 Chevy original.  I hope your bad luck string is over.

Tom

29abone

:D I received my power disc brake kit monday.  It is beautiful.  The caliper brackets are plated, the booster bracket is painted and the bolts are grade 8.  The kit is very complete includings hoses,  spindle caps, bearings, seals, proportioning valve, and brakelite switch.  The whole power booster system is completely assembled.  I( haven't installed it yet, but so far I highly recommend it.

Larry   :D
Larry