Question on shock travel

Started by chimp koose, March 30, 2008, 05:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

OK here are a few question for the chassis guys.How much travel do you leave for a shock to not fully bottom out? My shocks are fully compressed at 10" and fully open at 14 7/8" .I was thinking to make mounts so that when the suspension is fully compressed and on the travel stops ,the shock would have 1/2" travel left .Could I go with 1/4" travel left?These shocks are the ones with straight ends that mount with a pair of rubber biscuits at each end. The extension /compression measurements are taken without any squashing of the rubber biscuits .Opinions with explanations please.Next question. Should suspension travel have equal amounts of compression/extension movement from ride height or should there be more for compression? I read somewhere that there should be 2/3 compression1/3 extension .If I use 1/4" travel as a safeguard against bottoming out the shocks that leaves me with 4 5/8" shock travel. Do I go 2 5/16" each way or 3 1/8" compression,1 1/2" extension. Am I getting too complicated? I have lots of wheelwell room for suspension travel and I want to have a driveable car not a trailer queen.I await your suggestions .

1FATGMC

I would set it up for at least the 1/2 inch left when it is on the stops, since if the stops are rubber they can also give some.

The car is going to be more likely to compress the springs shocks with force on bumps and such. The forces with the car lifting are going to be much less, so if I was worried about running out of travel I would rather it happen on the rebound and not the compression.

c ya,

Sum

enjenjo

1/3 extension, 2/3 compression has always worked for me. I would also go with 1/2" on clearance.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

Thanks guys. I like to get a second opinion now and then.Sometimes what you read and what actually works are quite different.