Dual master cylinder with original pedals

Started by junkyardjeff, December 01, 2007, 03:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I am in the process of installing a T-5 and modern rear end in my 37 chevy p/u along with some suspension upgrades and a dropped axle and disc brakes up front,since I am retaining the 235 thats in it I want to use the original pedals.  Does anyone know if a kit is available or will I have to make my own adapter for the master cylinder,I hope a kit is availabe since I have no way to make perfect holes larger then the drill bits I have with the cheap drill press I got.   Jeff

enjenjo

The master cylinder is also the pedal mount on a 37 Chevy. So you have to keep the stock master cylinder, or change out the pedals. What I have done in the past is gut the stock master cylinder, and run a rod through it to operate a dual master cylinder mounted behind it. You can mount the new master cylinder on the Kmember with a fabricated bracket. A hole saw will cut a hole in 1/4" plate, even with a hand drill to make the mount.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

I think you are thinking about a 37 car that uses the master cylinder for the pedal mount,my truck has a bracket that the pedals bolt on and then the master cylinder bolts to the same bracket.  I wish I had a digital camera as I have a extra bracket assemby with pedals,the 37 to 46 1/2 ton trucks have the same bracket and pedals

enjenjo

You are right, I assumed car. I took a look at a truck master cylinder, looks like a simple angle bracket will adapt a dual master cylinder. A base to bolt to the original holes, and an upright to bolt the new master cylinder to.

Like this, but without the pedal bushing part.

Bugpac

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"I am in the process of installing a T-5 and modern rear end in my 37 chevy p/u along with some suspension upgrades and a dropped axle and disc brakes up front,since I am retaining the 235 thats in it I want to use the original pedals.  Does anyone know if a kit is available or will I have to make my own adapter for the master cylinder,I hope a kit is availabe since I have no way to make perfect holes larger then the drill bits I have with the cheap drill press I got.   Jeff

Post a picture of the original, So i can see it, I got a mill and could help you out probably.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

junkyardjeff

If someone with the proper equipment can make me a bracket I can send my extra m/c bracket and pedal along with a new dual master cylinder and I will pay what you want.  Jeff

Bugpac

Is there anyway you can take a photo? I would be interested in helping you out, but a photo would give me an idea what had to be done....
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

junkyardjeff

I will see what I can do to get some pics.

GPster

This may not always be an option but here is another idea. My Jeepster and probably Willys trucks and station wagons til the '60s had under floor pedals with the master cylinder in the engine compartment. It all depends on which side of the pedal axis you take the motion to activate the master cylinder. If the lever is on the same side of the axis as the pedal then the motion will be in the same direction as the pedal ( like hanging pedals with the whole assembly upside-down ). Now depending on the location of the steering box, oil filter, starter and exhaust this may not be an option but all this stuff does not come together the same way on every car. This will of course put the master cylinder low and out-of-reach but there are after-market remote fill caps for some master cylinders. This also keeps the actuating end of the low master cylinder out of a direct shot for road dirt and mud. GPster

enjenjo

Jeff, I can build what you need. I would need the new master cylinder, the old master cylinder, and the pushrod.

junkyardjeff

I will do some research on a master cylinder and box everything up and send it your way this week or early next week,I have a partial address when I dropped off those parts going to New Jersey so PM me your complete address.   Jeff

enjenjo

junkyardjeff

As soon as I find a master cylinder that has the lines coming out the other side I wil shipo them.