S10 under 40 Ford P/U

Started by 31suv, November 03, 2007, 04:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

31suv

Has anyone done this?

Thanks Curtis
East Texas,the right side of Texas

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "31suv"Has anyone done this?

Thanks Curtis

it would be best to use only the S-10 chassis under the 40 pickup.

other than a smart - butt comment , I got nuttin.

);b(
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

Somewhere in computor land is my first rely, but it's been lost.  The S10 tread width ( 2x4 ) is only about 53" and your truck is about 57". Most people are using the rear end out of a S10 4X4 ( 58" ) to get the width in the back. To get the front width they might suggest 2 1/2" wheel spacers which are about $70.00 a pair. The S10 4X4 frames might seem like a cheaper way but the configuration of the rails doesn't yield to a frame swap as well. You should think about a long bed frame (117"?) or an extended cab frame (122"?) so that you can have enough metal to shorten it to fit. The short bed pick-up is only 108".  The engine trans should sit further back under your the '40 body so you probably will loose the 2 piece driveshaft and attending crossmember. I'm putting an short bed (108") frame under a Jeepster (104") and will be positioning the engine/trans to the rear 6" and I've got the rolling/powered frame so that I can take some measurements for you as far as width goes. Everyone seems to modify the wheelbases at the weld between the front axle C/L and the rear axle C/L and the only dimension that changes is the distance between the weld and the rear C/L. I'm working on modifying a frame drawing to have the dimensions that a frame swapper would need but it's not done. You can ask specific questions here (this Forum) or PM me. I've got some ideas and information. GPster

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "31suv"Has anyone done this?

Thanks Curtis

A friend has used a Ranger chassis under a couple of 40 Ford trucks.  One of them was a 4 wheel drive and it set at about the stock height of the 40.  You would not know it was a 4 wheel drive.  I know nothing about the particulars of this swap but you might look into it.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

I have a friend that did it. His 40 is his daily driver. I don't know any details about it.
TEAM SMART

31suv

Thanks guy's.I do have a extended cab 2x4 frame to donate to the project . I've just about got the cab ready for a fitting. I will be in touch as time go's on

Thank's again
East Texas,the right side of Texas