Clutch / pressure plate etc for SBC

Started by Topsterguy, November 03, 2007, 12:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Hey All! I'm using a Borg Warner Super T-10 4 speed in my 40 Ford PU behind a relatively stock 350. What's the best clutch / pressure plate / linkage setup to use for this ? I know, some are going to say to get rid of the 4 speed and get a 5 speed, but I've GOT the 4 speed, want to use it  (cuz of the gears in the rear end  for a start) so that's it. Heard of a hydraulic clutch setup but from what vehicle? Which pressure plate etc, and numbers would help a lot!  Thanks!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

tomslik

i'm gonna be using a Howe hyd release bearing behind a 10.5 " clutch in the rambler.

350/super t-10 too, but i'll be using a solid disc....

tilton is * proud of their stuff...
there's also quartemaster and McLeod....

no idea what i'd use OEM for an internal slave BUT if ou've got room for the external, late model chevy pu's might be useable..
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

27oakland

I'm also using a Howe hydraulic throwout bearing with a Wilwood master clyinder behind a 401 nailhead. The throwout bearing was from speedway and is only intended for use with stock pressure plate/clutch setups. I've had good luck with this so far and in a lighter vehicle I wouldn't think it will be an issue. The hydraulic line from the master clyinder to the slave saves a lot of linkage headaches.
You might want to check out Summit, Lane automotive, etc... for clutch/pressure plate packages. Macleod, Centerforce, Zoom, RAM...

Lots of heavy duty setups for tire smoking holeshots. :D  :D  :D

kb426

This won't be much help but I used a pull type slave on my Ford bellhousing that was setup for a cable. I made an adapter out of alum. to hold it. This is a terrible pic but if you look behind the lines and the O2 sensor, you will see the blue slave.
TEAM SMART

Topsterguy

Thanks All, much appreciated as always!  Larry
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

40_Tudor

I have a hydraulic clutch setup in my 40 Tudor. It's an external slave that bolts to the bell housing. I've used a new NAPA clutch for the 87 Iroc TPI engine I installed. It works good. One suggestion though, I had the flywheel resurfaced, wrong move with a hydraulic clutch. The recommendations is to get a clutch kit that includes the new flywheel. I had to make a new rod on the slave so it would disengage completely. If you use the other style hydraulic clutch, the one with the hydraulics in the through out bearing, be sure to double check the distance between front of trans to flywheel. They will blow the bellows if you have to much clearance. Then you have to remove the trans and redo it all over again. Don't ask how I know that.