Monitor Q

Started by C9, December 16, 2007, 09:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

The 17" nearly square monitor that was part of the package with my HP computer I bought new about 3.5 years ago conked out.

I bought a new 19" wide one, reminds me of the letter box screens you see on some DVD's.

Anyway, how the heck do I set the screen size so pictures aren't stretched so far in the horizontal mode?

I went into control panel, display then settings, but there's only two choices and both of them still show the stretched pics.

I thought I was getting a relatively square screen at the time.

I kinda like the wide-screen bit, but as noted, it's kinda worthless unless I can set it for proper viewing.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Bugpac

advantage of a larger wider screen is the ability to view multiple windows,,,I dont have one yet, but i think santa got me a 24"... :D
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

crdnblu

If you don't have the instruction sheet, I would suggest going to the maufacturer's web site to view the setup instructions for the  proper settings of your model # monitor.  Most brands are are very well supported, sometimes allowing for downloading of a pdf file for a permanent copy.
Additionally, depending on the age of your computer, it may require downloading upgraded "drivers" to support your new monitor.  (easily done)

C9

Quote from: "crdnblu"If you don't have the instruction sheet, I would suggest going to the maufacturer's web site to view the setup instructions for the  proper settings of your model # monitor.  Most brands are are very well supported, sometimes allowing for downloading of a pdf file for a permanent copy.
Additionally, depending on the age of your computer, it may require downloading upgraded "drivers" to support your new monitor.  (easily done)

I'm guessing drivers etc. would be in the CD disc that came with it?

Monitor fired up just fine without the disc, internal speakers work, but have poor fidelity.
The last monitor - also an HP - had jacks for external speakers and I'd like to run them.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

jaybee

Can you plug the speakers into the sound card on the PC instead of the monitor?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

wayne petty

to change screen resulolution.on a pc.. right click on the desktop this will open a tool box and say something about display size.. select another larger size  like 1200 by 1600 ...    there willl also be hz options...    the control panel allows you to select a setting  if it doesnot look right  you can just not select the ok button and it will revert to the previous setting....

oh... and if at that large screen size... you cannot read the text in an open window....   on a pc... hold down the control key and also push the +  key and it will enlarge the text on most web pages.. but not the ads... some sites this wr orks better than others and that is the pages fault not you computers...

if you have a mac... open the apple menu... pull down to preferences... then double click on the monitors icon... that will also allow you to reset the display sizes...

58 Yeoman

I just got a new square monitor at work, and I didn't like the squareness of it.  I tried all the settings, and finally just grabbed one corner and resized the window to my liking....it just doesn't fill the screen anymore.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil