My car is finally painted!....sort of

Started by 48builder, October 19, 2007, 04:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

After 10 years I finally have some paint on my car. Last weekend I got the frame and components all done with my new favorite paint, Zerorust. www.zerorust.com. I really like the stuff. Easier towork with than POR-15 and cheaper too. POR15 still has its uses, but most of the time I am using Zerorust.

Then today I painted the A-pillar part of the cowl, the door bottoms and the a-pillar door jamb. Now I can put the doors back on and start running wires. I painted the black (GM Onyx Black) using my cheap HF gun. It came out just like glass. I am thinking about buying a better gun if I decide to paint the whole car myself, but for the $40 I paid for the HF gun it does a great job. Of course, maybe it's my painting skills that make it work good.  :lol:

Any, it feels good to start seeing a little flicker at the end of the tunnel.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

lots of nice paint jobs have come out of those harbor freight guns.

Looking good.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

There's a post on this forum somewhere that describes the adjustments on a HF 4340 gun. I fought mine for a while and then stumbled on that post and raised the inlet pressure around 11 lbs. It made all the difference. My paint work looks like I almost know what I'm doing now. What the paint store guys were telling me wasn't what the gun needed to atomize the mixture properly. I'm happy enough now that I ordered a spare while they were on sale for $20.
TEAM SMART

river1

Quote from: "kb426"There's a post on this forum somewhere that describes the adjustments on a HF 4340 gun. I fought mine for a while and then stumbled on that post and raised the inlet pressure around 11 lbs. It made all the difference. My paint work looks like I almost know what I'm doing now. What the paint store guys were telling me wasn't what the gun needed to atomize the mixture properly. I'm happy enough now that I ordered a spare while they were on sale for $20.

it's a sumner page

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/HVLPspraygun.html

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

donsrods

Looks great.  I went to HF and bought one of the gravity feed guns they had on sale for $ 9.95, it was so darned good I went back and bought 4 more!!  I like it as well as my $ 100 Craftsman gun.

We painted my Son's T frame with it.

Don

48builder

Quote from: "kb426"There's a post on this forum somewhere that describes the adjustments on a HF 4340 gun. .

Yep. I used Sum's guide to set it up. I have the older model I bought about 8 years ago based on Sumner's nod. I also have a Devilbus Finishline that I use for primers, and I actually like my HF gun better. When I see the HF HVLP touch-up gun on sale I'll buy one of those as well.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

sirstude

If you notice the HF touch up gun on sale, please post that info.  I want one, but just to cheap to pay the retail price.  And being that the nearest HF is 240 miles away, I don't always see the instore specials.  I do get the catalogs.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

48builder

Quote from: "sirstude"If you notice the HF touch up gun on sale, please post that info.  I want one, but just to cheap to pay the retail price.  And being that the nearest HF is 240 miles away, I don't always see the instore specials.  I do get the catalogs.

Doug

wILL DO. a COUPLE M ONTHS AGO IT WAS $26 OR SO. i JUST MISSED IT. gOT BUSY AND FORGOT.

wALT
'39 Chevy driver