Whats the difference between Type F and Dexron tranny fluid?

Started by midnight sun, October 16, 2007, 07:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnight sun

The reason I asked is that I have a B&M Torque converter that I am going to use along with a TH350 tranny.  B&M's recommendation (besides their own expensive fluid) is to use Type F over Dexron.  What's the logic?

I've always used Dexron in GM tranny's.

Someone enlighten me please!!

TIA
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

Danimal

And what happens if you run the wrong stuff? Will it just slip?

Sean

I use Type F in my TH350. It was built by a local guy that builds trannys for drag cars and pulling trucks, and he told me to run Type F in it to make it perform better and hold up longer.

Why? I don't know. But i've been running it pretty hard for 3 or 4 years now and haven't had any problems with it.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Danimal"And what happens if you run the wrong stuff? Will it just slip?

no.... IF you are using trans fluid in a trans.

It is all hydraulic oil with different additives in it and a dye to color the oil ; red , blue or no color added.

the main differences in the fluids are friction modifiers.  The Ford fluid has a bit less in it.

Dexron and the F fluid can be mixed.

I have used only dexron for many yrs.... my ol  1971 chev trk under WOT would bark the tires in the 3rd gear shift about 70mph.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"............... my ol  1971 chev trk under WOT would bark the tires in the 3rd gear shift about 70mph.

If I change trans fluid will mine do that too  8) ,

Sum

P.S. Don't forget the 4L80E quote.  I'm about ready to move on that.  I was going to call you today, but I always forget  :cry: .

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "1FATGMC"

P.S. Don't forget the 4L80E quote.  I'm about ready to move on that.  I was going to call you today, but I always forget  :cry: .

we neeed to discuss If you want standard frictions or the red Alto HP frictions.  Bring a bucket of cash for parts

Since you remember forgetting , that is a good sign

:lol:
Tony

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"

we neeed to discuss If you want standard frictions or the red Alto HP frictions.  Bring a bucket of cash for parts

I'll try not to forget to remember today.  I was hoping for a cup of cash not the bucket  8) ,

Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Crosley"

I'll try not to forget to remember today.  I was hoping for a cup of cash not the bucket  8) ,

Sum

it seems you did remember today.

When I get a chance... will chat with converter manager on suggestions for 1100 HP .

8)
Tony

1FATGMC

[quote="Crosley"...................When I get a chance... will chat with converter manager on suggestions for 1100 HP .
8)[/quote]

1100 HP, I wish  :wink: ,

Sum

buickblimp

Quote from: "midnight sun"The reason I asked is that I have a B&M Torque converter that I am going to use along with a TH350 tranny.  B&M's recommendation (besides their own expensive fluid) is to use Type F over Dexron.  What's the logic?

I've always used Dexron in GM tranny's.

Someone enlighten me please!!

TIA
The type F fluid sticks a little more (harder shifts) while the dexron slips a little ( smoother shifts) If you have an older trans(or built) the type F will help it shift a little firmer. I run it in all my old gm trannys. I have seen some problems using it in newer cars ,it caused some shift chatter problems in some Honda /Acura trannys (Im a Acura mechanic) But on older stuff you will be fine.

wayne petty

Quote from: "buickblimp",it caused some shift chatter problems in some Honda /Acura trannys (Im a Acura mechanic) But on older stuff you will be fine.

just thinking about honda tranny fluid... what part number do you use for 1999 and up stuff...????    they call for orignal honda syntheitic atf not the normal honda stuff.... the honda dealers even don't know what i am talking about...