Sheering Lug Studs.

Started by msuguydon, October 14, 2007, 08:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

the reply was for msuguydon  ...  he had troubles with his studs breaking off... after incorrect wheel offset and control arm modifications over stressed his front wheel studs...

wheel studs are not to be improperly selected...  and many people do...

i have had to cut lug nuts off of mag wheels do to the stud spinning in the hub do to somebody inslalling a smaller knurled stud.

sorry for the confusion....

i still have not found any much longer studs that will fit the factor 55-57 hubs...   but many people have installed later model 69-72 chevelle rotors with differnt bearings and a differnt seal... so the studs would have a differnt size knurl.    his friend or mechanic may have fixed it already...

msuguydon   is it fixed????

48builder

Quote from: "wayne petty"i just spent a bunch of time going through every stud application that dorman has online... only 2 will fit if you have a shoebox chevy

anybody can get more data from dormanproducts.com

Hey Wayne,

You are just a font of knowledge. Thank you. I need to find a longer stud for my Z28 rear, and this site has it listed.

Now, as I recall, there is a right way and wrong way to remove the old studs. The wrong way is to beat with a hammer. The right way is to use a special tool that uses a threaded stud you turn to push them out. I'll have to get me one of those.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

C9

I haven't removed any studs for a long while, but when I did a big hammer and a thickwalled piece of tubing and cement floor did the trick.

Component's were removed.

Seems too, a hydraulic press would do the trick.

I'm guessing the special tool is an on the car device . . . which would be great, not many want to pull a hub or axle if they don't have to.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Grandadeo

Unfortunately the wayback machine is a little foggy today but I'll give it a try.  Years ago I was having front wheel stud breakage problems on my '41 Cheebie Cdan.  I had put '53 Chevy spindles and brakes on the front with a pair of chrome reversed wheels.  After replacing a bunch of wheels studs I finally asked the right person if he had any ideas.  As I recall the problem was that I did not grind off the nubs, maybe they were rivets, on the brake drums.  Seems the stock wheels had an indentation to clear the nubs but with a flat wheel up against them it would someone cause the wheel studs to sheer.  Maybe cause they would cause the wheel to be slightly cocked, I don't remember for sure.  All I know is that cured the problem.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

wayne petty

ok... hammer and if neded a tapered punch to drive them out....in actually... on most cars there is one position that the hub/axle can be positioned to extract the loose stud and insert the new one.

i use a stack of greased grade 8 flat washers with a  "new" conventional lug nut turned over so the flat side is agenst the washers...

"important the threads must stick through the nut before it gets tightened.even if it means that you have to remove some now and add them later to finish."...

i then tighten it until the stud bottoms out . and it's done...
--------------

if the hub or axle is off.. you can drop it into a wheel that is placed face down on plywood or cardboard to reduce some of the viberations. from your really big hammer..this also includes using a drift of some kind. a legnth of 3/4" rod. or what i use.. old C4 and C6 transmission input shafts. or you can use a reversed nut and washers also.

ok.. insert the hub of the axle/hub into the wheel so it sits like it should it everything was on the car....not just laying there...

using a hydraulic press to insert sutes is iffy unless you have proper tooling... to both press tehm in and to receive it...   on certian models the studs are swedged in to retain the drums.. this is done on a press with proper tooling for doing just this job...

this neet little benchtop press is just right for pressing things around the shop.. but it may not be big enough to press off axle bearings... sometimes my 20 ton jack type hydraulic press is not enough for really tight ones. the neibours 50 ton press never gives the bearings a second chance.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44811   10 ton bench mount

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=96188    50 ton shop press

for those who are handy i can see them taking the idea of the  10 ton bench and upping the height and building a retractable plunger plate like a conventional bottle jack type press has and using a 20 to 30 ton bottle jack on it..   being a one sided press it will ahve a small footprint and stand by it self agenst the wall. well maybe a few bolts to stop it from falling over...

msuguydon

Job done, 1" dia, longer studs installed.

Now all studs are the same size and they fit the non-stock wheels, 1" holes.  With the spacers some of studs were only getting 3 or 4 threads of engagement.

Now that I have issue resolved I can go back to thinking up funny quips for the next Team Smart Meeting.  :lol:
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

UGLY OLDS

QuoteNow that I have issue resolved I can go back to thinking up funny quips for the next Team Smart Meeting

Team smart has Meetings  :?:  :?:  :?
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

C9

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
QuoteNow that I have issue resolved I can go back to thinking up funny quips for the next Team Smart Meeting

Yeah . . . but nobody knows how to get there....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "C9"
Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"

Yeah . . . but nobody knows how to get there....

tha's 'cuz we're already there 8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

msuguydon

Quote from: "msuguydon"Job done, 1" dia, longer studs installed.

Now all studs are the same size and they fit the non-stock wheels, 1" holes.  With the spacers some of studs were only getting 3 or 4 threads of engagement.

Now that I have issue resolved I can go back to thinking up funny quips for the next Team Smart Meeting.  :lol:

By the way, that should read 1/2 lug studs, up from the 7/16
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

Dave

Quote from: "msuguydon"
Quote from: "msuguydon"Job done, 1" dia, longer studs installed.

By the way, that should read 1/2 lug studs, up from the 7/16

Before the meeting id get my measuring skills in order if i was ewe..
You cant possible have i inch diameter studs in your hubs. 1 inch longer ill buy so get rid of the Dia reference with the 1 inch and the 1/2 inch diamater will work also..  I thought chevy had 7/16 diamater and ford had 1/2 so I wonder how the hell you came up with chevrolets wheel pattern with ford studs..  :?:  :?:
Come on skipper splain this one to me..
Dave

enjenjo

That's easy Dave, he used larger replacement studs. we used to do that on race cars. By the way, Jags had a chevy bolt pattern with 1/2" studs.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"That's easy Dave, he used larger replacement studs. we used to do that on race cars. By the way, Jags had a chevy bolt pattern with 1/2" studs.

OK but me trying to be hot rod and chevrolet and ford correct  id have prolly used the 7/16 studs in a longer version..  8)  Thanks for the info though..  I kinda went to wide 5's then to knock off's in my racing days.. I do remember the late model I drove and how it had big nuts reaLLY BIG NUTS (insert smart * comment here) but dam that was 30 something years ago.. By the way ill prolly see rollie next weekend at the old timers reunion.. Thank god they are all older than me....
Dave