Rack & Pinion rubber boots -- replaced

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, October 16, 2007, 03:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

I've heard the Flaming River ones aren't as good as OEM

Jbird

Six years? You musta got some good ones. Most of them fall apart much sooner. I think OEM is the only way to go. Maybe somewhere in the offroad market some indestructos are available.

Hey Tony, I may have an engine for little blimey or one of your other citrus flavored gems. It's a dual overhead cam all alooneyum slant four. It came out of a 73 Jensen Healy. I have to pull the pan off to find out why it don't want to spin. If it's not junk I'll probably ebay it.

Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

wayne petty

I doubt the bellows would last so long outside... it must be the climate controlled atmostphere in my shop. :shock:

guess I need to suck it up and spend 50 bucks on the boots for thr R&P

tony check with the local powersteering pump rebuilders... they probably do racks also and have boots instock for cheep. thats where i get mine...

wayne petty

a little better decription of loose???please...

on my end..
the 66 fairlane project just got new shackles made to tighten the rear end up.. the welded in shackle pins were loose on the welded end. it got weird in turns... he told me there is a place where he can almost jump the car on his way to work late at night...yaaahhhhoooooo!!!!!! in 2 or 3 weeks we install the top loader, Oh joy...

oh yea... southern california is on fire...

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "wayne petty"a little better decription of loose???please...

on my end..
the 66 fairlane project just got new shackles made to tighten the rear end up.. the welded in shackle pins were loose on the welded end. it got weird in turns... he told me there is a place where he can almost jump the car on his way to work late at night...yaaahhhhoooooo!!!!!! in 2 or 3 weeks we install the top loader, Oh joy...

oh yea... southern california is on fire...

Oh Yea so cal. I am about 2 miles down the road in agua dulce, BUT the wind is blowen the fire away.
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

wayne petty

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "wayne petty"a little better decription of loose???please.....

Car will drive along fine... then a tire may rut chase slightly , then the front end feels like it shifts / wiggles / moves around loosely.  

Sorta like bad lower ball joints will let a car wonder around   or  like the right side idler arm is bad and lets the right tire find it's own path some times.

:?

ok....now that the boots are on.. take them loose.. slide them down a bit  and measure the legnth the length the inner tie rod ends stick out of the housing. and the legnth of the tie rod to the inside of the inner nut...

if the legnth of the tie rod ajustability is offset to one side bump steer will be the result.

i set the wheel alignment on a chevelle pro gas car a bunch iof years ago under the close observation of the car owner and builder. too close...

he would not let me center the rack as that would put the steering wheel off center. when the wheels came up under power it moved a little .. when it came down on them the car almost ran into the guardrail. it was an easy fix...once he let me do it...  he had been a tech for many years before i was even born...but not an alignment tech

and a tip about early 90's honda accords...ajust the right wheel with the rack all the was to one side... watch the amount of clearance between the caliper and the yoke under the shock coil over assy.  set the right wheel then to strraight ahead and ajust toe in with the left wheel ajustment.
failing to do this will cause the caliper back to be pressed into the yoke and retract the piston... it was a wonderfull feeling when you park the car and the brake pedal goes to the floor.....pull the steering wheel to recenter it.... hope this helps someone...