Reducing the power effect from a Ford p/s system

Started by junkyardjeff, October 14, 2007, 10:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

At highway speeds the steering on my 65 country squire is too easy,at below 50 its not too bad and I was wondering if there was anything that can be done to the pump or box to give it the feel of a manual box at higher speeds and the feel of a power box and very low speeds.  My 92 F150 does not feel the same but it has one of those noisey pumps and I like the quiet pump on my 65,all the p/s systems of that era are probably the same but is there anything I can do to reduce some of the power effect.  Jeff

wayne petty

for the f150 ... a gm pump has been modified and a bracket installed to adapt it to ford applications. by one of the biggest rebuilders.. A1 cardone... available most everwhere.. pm me with more info and i will send you a part nember

for the 65 ford... looks like there were 2 bolt ford boxes installed and 4 bolt saginaw boxes . (# of bolts in top cover)   hmmm... restrict flow, change out spool valve torsion bars, add more negitive caster to alignment. (shorten the strut rod ajustment, pulling the lower conrol arm forward)

mercedes cars can run up to 10 degrees negative caster. thats why they lean the tires over so far... helps with handling and recentering the wheel..

next.....

junkyardjeff

My wagon has the Ford 2 bolt box and I have a 65 custom 500 that has the saginaw 4 bolt box but I think it acts the same,I am going to take it out tomorrow and see how it feels and report back.  The wagon was never right since I got it on the road 6 years ago,I had replaced some parts in the front end but never had it aligned and then rebuilt it about two years after getting it on the road.  Even after getting the front rebuilt and aligned it was never right as I ruined a tire diving it while it was out of alignment the first two years and now that I got everything right I noticed how the power steering actually felt,I have heard comments on the Ford p/s systems and how there is not much road feel so its probably the way it was designed but I would like to improve it short of putting a manual box in it.  Jeff

enjenjo

What steering wheel are you using? If it's the stocker, changing to a 14" wheel will make a big difference.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

I am using the original steering wheel and I drove the custom with the saginaw box and its a little better,I was thinking on hitting the junkyards to find a larger pulley but I doubt one was made but I will check.  I am going to contact a steering box rebuilder and see what they can do.   Jeff

enjenjo

Changing pulley size won't do it. The pressure is controlled by a relief valve, and not speed.

On the back of the pump, where the pressure hose connects, remove that fitting. Behind it is a spring. That controls the pressure valve. Clip one turn off the spring, and reassemble. That should reduce the pressure.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

I just thought of something,the pump that is in it came off a F350 and it probably is set up for higher pressure so I am going to take the relief spring from the original pump and see what happens.  Jeff