How would you guys do this?

Started by 48builder, October 17, 2007, 05:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I'm looking for advice on the order of doing things. Here's where I stand.

My frame is painted. The body has epoxy primer and 3-4 coats of polyester primer on top of that. It is getting colder here in NY, so time is running short to do bodywork. Next week I plan on puting the frame back together, then sitting the body on it for the last time.

I still need to align the front fenders and the hood. The door gaps all all set. I was thinking I would paint the bottoms of the doors and the A-pillar at the door and the cowl. Then I can hang the doors for the last time.

I would like to work on the wiring and interior during the cold winter months, then finish the bodywork in the spring. However, that would mean getting sanding dust all over the interior of the car. The interior pieces would come back out before doing any bodywork, but not the wiring. I'm also not sure at what point I should put in the sound-proofing material.

Am I over-complicating this? What order do you guys do all these things? My preference would be to get all of the body block-sanded and ready for paint before doing the wiring, but I don't have the luxury of a big, heated shop.

Thanks for any input,

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

when you put the body back on, put a sheet of heavy plastic film between the body and frame. this will keep the frame clean. If you are going to pull the interior back out, you can mask the wiring to keep paint and crud off of it. One other thing, do all but the final blocking dry. It may take a bit more paper, but dust is easier to clean off than mud. I would also paint the whole bottom of the body before putting it on the frame.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"when you put the body back on, put a sheet of heavy plastic film between the body and frame. this will keep the frame clean. If you are going to pull the interior back out, you can mask the wiring to keep paint and crud off of it. One other thing, do all but the final blocking dry. It may take a bit more paper, but dust is easier to clean off than mud. I would also paint the whole bottom of the body before putting it on the frame.

Yupper.. My frame is painted as is the fire wall and the underside of the body.. My body is junk even though its a glass car.. I did not put plastic under the body cause  i painted the underside and left provisions to tape under the body to the floor and prime sand prime and paint. I was gonna do the plastic trick but then id have to lift the body to get all that s&&t out so i did it my way as ol blue eyes would say...  Just remember to paint the firewall  now I didnt on my 34 ant it was a pain to do later.
Dave :wink:
p:; id do the sound deading crap last right fore the interior.

48builder

Quote from: "enjenjo"when you put the body back on, put a sheet of heavy plastic film between the body and frame. .

The bottom of the body is painted. So I put a sheet of plastic over the frame before putting the body on. That keeps the sanding dust off. Then I can just cut around the body mounting points and leave that plastic there?

I started blocking a little, and I was doing it dry. I am trying to avoid getting the "mud" all over the inside.

Thanks for the tips. I feel better about my plan now.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

48builder

[quote="jusjunk Just remember to paint the firewall  now I didnt on my 34 ant it was a pain to do later.
Dave :wink:
p:; id do the sound deading crap last right fore the interior.[/quote]

I have a stainless cover for the firewall, so I don't plan on painting it, other than the epoxy primer that's already there.

I suppose I can lift up the wiring after that fact to put the sound deadening stuff in.

Thanks, Dave.
'39 Chevy driver