OIL

Started by Learpilot, October 04, 2007, 10:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

I thought I would aid in the recovery of John Force by changing my oil in my Street Rod and my daily driver. Had to take out a loan ! My daily Driver is a 2004 Lincoln LS, V-8 of course(all Hot Rodders drive V-8s). It came from the factory with oil that was a blend 5W30. I wanted to up grade to full syn. oil ,but it only comes in 10W30.
Is that the same ?
One other question What oil are you guys using in the Hot Rods ? Regular, Blend or Full syn. ? How often do you change since we don't drive them everyday ?
What is FILTROdeAIRE ? I found a air filter in the box !
Thanks in advance for your answers !!!
Rick Harris

unklian

Synthetic should be available in many viscosities.

Leon

I just rebuilt a motor that was on a full synthetic for its life (125K) and it had very little wear, but because of being a synthetic the owner didn't do changes as often.  The gaskets were very brittle and the oil had "coked" and bits of this baked stuff was all over the inside.  I've also done an engine that was on regular oil with 3000 mile changes that was spotless inside after 200K.  I think the synthetic is good, but it still has to be changed, maybe not as often as regular, but I think more often than some people let it go.  If I change to a synthetic I wouldn't go more than 5-6000 miles.  I did read something a while back that they still suggested changing the filter every 3K and topping off the level.  At least that would put some fresh additives in the oil.

My S-10 and my father's Lincoln also both state 5W30, but the owner's manuals say if you live in a climate that doesn't go below 0 you can run 10W30

buickblimp

I run 10-30 ( 20-50 in the oil burners) just regular oil. I change oil and filter every spring. The drivers get oil changes every 3000 miles, but my old cars never get driven that much in a summer.

Charlie Chops 1940

I've been running Mobil 1 in 3 different GM dailys over the past 12 years and going 5000-8000 miles on changes. 5W30 year around on the current one.

I put a ZZ4 crate motor in the '40 3-4 years ago and after break-in went to Mobil 1 5W30. Changing it at least each spring regardless of miles.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Carps

the 5 in 5 W40 is an indicator of cold starting performance of the oil.

The lower the number the better cold starting performance.  Thus if you live in a cold climate, 5W40 will perform better than 10W40 at strtup and the same once up to temperature.

The second number, 40 is the oil viscosity at operating temperature.  Thus a W30 oil will be thier at operating temp compared to a W40

If your climate is cold and your engine as old as Enjenjo, I'd probably look for a 5W50 or 5W60.   :wink:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

C9

Don't the numbers indicate the level of protection rather than a viscosity change?

In other words, protects like a particular weight at differing engine temps and the oil proper doesn't change viscosities except for the expected thinning out as it gets hotter?

Somewhat like the old molasses in January saying.

An excellent site is "Bob is The Oil Guy" at  http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?Cat=0
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Crosley.In.AZ

I think my chev 5.3 calls for 5w-30.  I use 10w-30 Mobil 1 oil in the summer here in AZ.

During the winter I mix 10-30 with the 5w-30

I need to get the spark plugs out of the 5.3 and spread some anti - seize on the threads.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)