Couple of 2002 F-150 SuperCrew Q's

Started by C9, October 08, 2007, 11:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

Maybe it's always done it and I never noticed it, but I note on startup all the instruments swing to full deflection on the high end after the engine is running then all return to zero and finally go to the normal indications.

Nothing else is going on and the engine runs ok, all accessories work fine and the mileage - which I keep track of - is the same.

Some kind of self-diagnostic deal?

Or am I just not paying attention? :oops:  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does someone have a source for the computerized ignition keys?

You can program them yourself if you have both keys.
If only one - or none - Ford $$$$ has to do it.

I'm wondering too if a junkyard key could be over-written like a tape recorder does to the same tape time and again?
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

tom36

Quote from: C9Maybe it's always done it and I never noticed it, but I note on startup all the instruments swing to full deflection on the high end after the engine is running then all return to zero and finally go to the normal indications.

Probably normal----My 93 Bonneville does the same thing.  Tom...

kb426

If they have stepper motors on the instruments, they all do that. Motorcycles and cars.
TEAM SMART

wayne petty

Quote from: "C9"all the instruments swing to full deflection

Some kind of self-diagnostic deal?    yep...

I'm wondering too if a junkyard key could be over-written like a tape recorder does to the same tape time and again?

pm  me directly if you need more key info  i have friends
wayne

Crosley.In.AZ

when I had a f-150 , I bought a generic key at a lock shop > they cut it so it worked the ignition.

I then programed it myself with the truck's system like you are thinking.

I did this after My wife lost her ignition key.  85 bucks at Ford for a replacement
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

C9

Thanks a lot guys.

Much appreciated.

Funny sometimes what you notice on the way to the races after "One of those days" where little things go wrong . . . a lot.

Locked myself out of truck and box trailer with keys for each in the other (don't ask).

Cut my hand pretty good opening the 32's hood (amp gauge terminal got me - I guess those voltmeter guys are right in that ammeters are dangerous.

No bandaids anywhere and surgical tape leaks blood . . . that part ok, looks sorta serious 'racer-like.'

Somebody took all the "emergency food out of the trailer" and the BBQ wasn''t up and running

The half-box of Gatorade broke, bottle's went everywhere under the roadster I picked up what I could, fired the roadster, backed out and didn't crush any.

Things were better after that and I got to run on a semi-real dragstrip.

Local (big) airport.

More on that later.

Younger daughter above, note what she's driving at the races.

My 'new' car below . . . daughter's old one.
She tells me it's a good swap far as the cars go. :lol:

Ya think one of the BBB's would fit?

If anyone has one of these just sitting and not too broken within a few hundred miles - with title, papers etc. - I'll haul it off for you.

Headed for Guadalupe near Tempe I think it is, both of which are in the Phoenix area in a couple weeks to pick up a 20' x 20' carport.

I have plenty of weight capacity and if I break the carport pallet down I can get it all in the pickup bed and the long pieces in the trailer.

I hauled the car out here along with all her apartment stuff . . . and her.... 8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

when I had a f-150 , I bought a generic key at a lock shop > they cut it so it worked the ignition.

I then programed it myself with the truck's system like you are thinking.

I did this after My wife lost her ignition key. 85 bucks at Ford for a replacement "

I hear you there, the Ford sales guy - nice, really helpful - told me he'd done the same trick with two keys and it was about a hundred bucks for an employee.
C9

Glen

Quote from: "C9"Maybe it's always done it and I never noticed it, but I note on startup all the instruments swing to full deflection on the high end after the engine is running then all return to zero and finally go to the normal indications.

Nothing else is going on and the engine runs ok, all accessories work fine and the mileage - which I keep track of - is the same.

Some kind of self-diagnostic deal?

Or am I just not paying attention? :oops:  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You need to check the battery on the truck....that is a tell-tale sign that the battery is getting weak and because it uses every bit of UMPH! to start the truck, the gauges sweep like that.  

If you have only one key, a dealer will have to program the second key.  They have to have the truck and the keys to program it because it communicates to the PCM.  If you have two keys and want to program a third key, you can do it yourself thru a series of ignition cycles.  They are referred to as PATS keys.

Also, if you ever need to program the remote entry key pad, just cycle the ignition switch seven times and leave it in the run position, the door locks will go up and down, simply push lock and unlock on each remote and they will be programmed.

C9

QuoteFrom Glen - You need to check the battery on the truck....that is a tell-tale sign that the battery is getting weak and because it uses every bit of UMPH! to start the truck, the gauges sweep like that.  

If you have only one key, a dealer will have to program the second key.  They have to have the truck and the keys to program it because it communicates to the PCM.  If you have two keys and want to program a third key, you can do it yourself thru a series of ignition cycles.  They are referred to as PATS keys.

Also, if you ever need to program the remote entry key pad, just cycle the ignition switch seven times and leave it in the run position, the door locks will go up and down, simply push lock and unlock on each remote and they will be programmed.

Many thanks Glen.
I've been thinking the battery was going away, seems a little slower since it got colder.

Just bought a new batt for the car trailer.
A Wally World special Marine battery, but it didn't come with a Marine which disappointed my daughter highly. :cry:  

Just for fun, here's my other Wally World Special.  (Actual nickname by most, sometimes hard to find.)

Don't use brake cleaner as many shooters do, it melts the powder coating on the aluminum receiver. :oops:  :-o
Fixed now. 8)

I'll get a new truck batt today or tomorrow once I get caught up.
This seems to be my week for tires.
Burn em, spin em, kill em, buy em.
Lotsa fun.

And about 4 more on the horizon....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you know if a junkyard key is programmable to another Ford?

I'm guessing all the keys of the around 2002 era would do it if they can be reprogrammed.

Tell Mr. Ford he built a great truck.
No problems at all.
One set of tires - lasted almost 60,000, set of front brake pads and that's it so far..... 8)
C9

Glen

Yes, you can erase the program to a junkyard key and re-program that key to your vehicle.  

When the alarm shops install auto starts in these vehicles they take a key that is uncut, program it, and tape it up under the dash next to the brain, so when the owner hits auto start 100 feet away from the vehicle it will communicate and actually start.  The key is a blank, so you couldnt use it to start the vehicle.

I should clarify also......the weak battery/gauge sweep scenario is common on the F-series trucks and Expedition.....I dont want to suggest that everyone that has that symptom on other makes should run out and buy another battery.