Nova clip in a 49 Chevy Pickup?

Started by Ralph, May 18, 2004, 09:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph

There's a 49 Chevy pickup near me for sale. It has a Nova front clip, and a ladder bar rear. It's a partly finished project at a good price. I'm just wondering if a Nova clip isn't a bit wide for one of those? Can't really tell with no front sheetmetal mounted. Opinions?
Thanks,
Ralph :?
Manitoba Street Rod Association
http://www.msra.mb.ca/

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Ralph"There's a 49 Chevy pickup near me for sale. It has a Nova front clip, and a ladder bar rear. It's a partly finished project at a good price. I'm just wondering if a Nova clip isn't a bit wide for one of those? Can't really tell with no front sheetmetal mounted. Opinions?
Thanks,
Ralph :?

Mine is on a Camaro sub, but I widened the front fenders 1 1/2 inches on each side to avoid tire rub.  My offset on the front wheel is such that calipers had to be ground just a touch to avoid contact with the wheel (so the wheels are in as far as possible).

The Nova is narrower than the Camaro, so if you watch your wheels you might be ok.  It also matters how the sub is installed and how far the fenders come down over the wheels.  Mine come down a lot.

I would also be concerned at what ride height the sub has been installed and if it is a good square and safe installation.  I love the subframe on mine, but some of them aren't installed very good.  Does the Nova have drum brakes or has it been converted to disc's?  I would try and put some wheels/tires on it and hang the front sheet metal to make sure you are happy with what you are getting.

There are pictures of my frame on my site in the (  Construction of 1FATGMC  ).

Frank can probably also give you a better idea of what you should be looking for.

c ya, Sum

enjenjo

If it's a front steer, it's too wide. If it's a rear steer, it should be ok. If it has the front steer, and it's a good install, Corvette wheels will move the tires in for clearance.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

I can give you some information on changing to the Metric rotors which will narrow the track about 2 inches.  I run a front steer Nova on my truck and I have been real happy with the ride and drive.  I have saw installations that were done incorrectly.  Look the work over real close.  It must be square with the original frame, correct wheelbase and ride height.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Charlie Chops 1940

I did a rear steer Nova sub with Nova discs to a pals '48 p/u 15 years ago or so. Sets low, goes everywhere. He runs Weld 15x6 front wheels and somewhere around a 195 or 205 60 series front tire.  Your results may vary, but generallythe back steer sub is fine for width.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Roadstar

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Roadstar"Front steer Nova???

1975-79

sirstude

I could use the info on the Metric rotors also.  A few years ago I did a Nova clip on a 53 Chev PU.  The guy insisted on the Nova stuff.  My former boss now owns the truck and things are just a bit wide (1/2 inch clearance at most with 195 tires on stock rims).  

Thanks
Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

WZ JUNK

I have it typed somewhere on this machine but I can not find it now.  I will try to look it up for you.  I have posted this information in the past.  I will get it for you.  Remind me if I do not get back to you soon.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I have it typed somewhere on this machine but I can not find it now.  I will try to look it up for you.  I have posted this information in the past.  I will get it for you.  Remind me if I do not get back to you soon.

As I peruse "Bob's Big Book Of Stuff #1" - one of several four-inch looseleaf books into which copious quantities of notes, operating/assembly instructions, formulae, and secret incantations have been crammed - I find a note in the Chassis section that tells me that one can use NAPA Part # BR-6 and BR-09074 bearings to adapt a GM 108" Metric chassis rotor to a Camaro spindle.

Hope that helps.....

...now, can somebody help me lift this book back up onto the shelf where it belongs?

Bob Paulin
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

Ralph

Wow! My question got a great response. Thanks, guys. I'll have to go take a close look at this thing. I've got a friend with a Nova sub under a 47 Chev car. What else is there to that metric disc swap?
Ralph
Manitoba Street Rod Association
http://www.msra.mb.ca/