G-body front sway bars

Started by 48builder, October 09, 2007, 05:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

Sorry to hog the board. I'm just trying to wrap up my suspension.

I found a board where a guy stated that a Camaro front sway bar is a bolt-in for the G-body front bar. He said to grab one from a Z28 or IROC.

Is that right? Seems too easy. I'm thinking of a big bar since my'48 is more top-heavy than the Grand Prix clip donor.

Thanks

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

I don't know about the Camaro, but it will probably fit. If you can find a GP, SJ, they had a 1 1/4" bar on them.

One thing to remember, the weight is further back in the chassis on your 48 than it is on a GP, so you may not need as big a bar as you think,
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

there was an artical in cc or hr about that subject...  f body bars will fit a g body but not the other way... something about the core support clearance.. not an issue on g bodys...

i have a 1-5/16 bar on the front of my 83 tbird 5.0.. and i love it...  it did break the factory resistance welds off the frame brackets. a trip to the muffler shop fixed that.   my muff guy is an artist with the mig.

Learpilot

I have a few questions, what is a good size sway bar for a Street rod ? Is there a difference between a coupe and sedan ? How about big block or a small block ? How about weight bias 50/50 vs 60/40 ? Is that weighed with the driver in or out ?
I have the stock Mustang II now. It leans a lot in the turns, but I don't want to get one too big. Also what is a bolt in one for the Mustang II from the bone yard  ?
Thanks,
Rick Harris

Charlie Chops 1940

I modified a 1-1/4" GM front bar to fit the front of my "40 Chevy about 20 years ago. It made a significant difference. The next step was to fit the stock '40 front bar to the rear. I think that bar is right around 5/8" or maybe 3/4". That took care of the last bit of upset of the rear of the car trying to push the front over.

My car weighs in around 3600 pounds and probably 55/45 distribution. I would want at least a 1" front bar for starters.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Learpilot

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I modified a 1-1/4" GM front bar to fit the front of my "40 Chevy about 20 years ago. It made a significant difference. The next step was to fit the stock '40 front bar to the rear. I think that bar is right around 5/8" or maybe 3/4". That took care of the last bit of upset of the rear of the car trying to push the front over.

My car weighs in around 3600 pounds and probably 55/45 distribution. I would want at least a 1" front bar for starters.

Charlie
Thanks for the info !!
Rick Harris

enjenjo

Quotewhat is a bolt in one for the Mustang II from the bone yard

An S10 bar will fit with a bit of bending on the ends. Just bend it equally on both ends so it's the same measurement hole to hole as the Mustang bar.

Learpilot

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quotewhat is a bolt in one for the Mustang II from the bone yard

An S10 bar will fit with a bit of bending on the ends. Just bend it equally on both ends so it's the same measurement hole to hole as the Mustang bar.
Do you heat the ends to bend them ? Will that take out some of the spring action of the sway bar ?
Thanks , Rick Harris

Charlie Chops 1940

The spring or torsion effect is the center of the bar...the rest is just for fitment.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

QuoteDo you heat the ends to bend them

Been doing it for 30 years, never caused a problem.