floor insulation

Started by papastoyss, March 27, 2007, 05:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papastoyss

I  used the Cool Car stuff, brushed it on firewall 3  coats,& then brushed rest on floors. I also used a layer of foil backed foam  under the jute/foil carpet padding. The car is much more comfortable now. I also tried a foil/fiberglas like product Drake sells. I also tested  4 different insulation products with a thermometer in front of an electric heater. The foil backed foam & the Drake product each made the reading 9 degrees lower than the jute/foil or the foil /bubble stuff. Hope this helps someone. I have learned many useful tips in the short time I've been on this board. THANKS everyone.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

wayne petty

just a thought...

i saw at pepboys a $20 pocket infrared temp pun... might be of help to find hot spots...

and how close is the exhaust system to the floor boards????

some newer cars have stainless steel heat shields that fit over the upper half of the exhaust system to keep radiated exhaust head out of the passenger compartments..

some companys even have a heat shield over the top of the muffler...

when iworked in a shop with a exhaust tubing bender. i bend a few pieces just a little larger than the pipe and sweged the end back to the exact od of the pipe to be covered and cut it in half top and bottom. and used a muffler clamps to hold the sweged ends tight to the hot pipe..  i think top fuel zoomie pipes are done this way also... an outer tube over the inner.. those are probably done for strength...