I need help with a late model alternator!

Started by 348tripower, September 28, 2007, 12:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

The vehicle;
2002 Ford Windstar. The alternator was toast. Rebuilt it and not charging. removed an retested and it is good. There is a fuse under the hood for the alternator excite circuit and it is good? Anybody got any idea?
The alternator;
Has a three wire connection.
Red-center of plug
Orange-one end of plug
Brown-the other end
Red has 12v
orange has 9v
brown has nothing
Thanks,
Don
Don Colliau

Fat Cat

Quote from: "348tripower"The vehicle;
2002 Ford Windstar. The alternator was toast. Rebuilt it and not charging. removed an retested and it is good. There is a fuse under the hood for the alternator excite circuit and it is good? Anybody got any idea?
The alternator;
Has a three wire connection.
Red-center of plug
Orange-one end of plug
Brown-the other end
Red has 12v
orange has 9v
brown has nothing
Thanks,
Don

Hope this can be of some help. I got it from my Mitchell online through Napa. It looks like there are 2 fuses on the alternator. I would guess that the brown one is fused also and that may be the problem.

348tripower

Thanks Frank.
 Thats what I needed. I will check that out today. I was also told that the computer tells this thing to charge. Maybe it has a problem?
Don
Don Colliau

Fat Cat

Quote from: "348tripower"Thanks Frank.
 Thats what I needed. I will check that out today. I was also told that the computer tells this thing to charge. Maybe it has a problem?
Don

Yea it is computer controlled. If I had to guess I would say that from the diagram that fuse 20 is blown and the computer is not sensing the static voltage of the system and is therefore not telling the regulator to adjust the voltage.