PC help, please

Started by jaybee, May 18, 2004, 10:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

I consider myself a moderately knowledgeable computer user, but I could use some help from the techies out there.  My son's PC suddenly refuses to boot.  As far as I can tell it never tries to spin the hard drive.  The red light that comes on at power-up comes on but the green light that replaces it never does.  The box never sends even a flicker of power to the monitor.  Any advice?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Fat Cat

It is kind of hard to diagnose over the internet but it sounds like the bios chip or the motherboard are not responding. You should be able to unplug everything except the video card, keyboard, and floppy drive it should at least boot to a prompt requesting a boot disc. If you don't get that far it is something deeper on the hardware level.

Cword

I agree with Fat Cat,  you may also whish to reseat the video card,  the fine contact structure on PCI and AGP video cards create problems if the card "shifts" in the connector.  One of the reasons newer AGP cards have locking tabs now is due to video card caused lockups.
mike
--

rooster

You might check the switch for the power supply, when you turn it on you should hear the fan running in the power supply. Just a thought!