Harbor freight air compressor pump

Started by WZ JUNK, September 27, 2007, 01:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I need to redo my old air compressor pump.  I see that Harbor Freight has this pump on sale.  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93786  Do any of you have any thoughts on this pump?  It is much cheaper than rebuilding my old Speedaire pump.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

At that price, you don't have much to lose. I spent more than that on a valve kit for my Dayton.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Rrumbler

I have heard both good and  no-so-good about HF compressors, so I would imagine that the pumps would be the same.  I think it's sort of a craps shoot; you might make out ok, and for the cost of the thing - well, you pays yer nickle, and ya' takes yer pickle.   8)
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

Dave

ill bet it doesnt last 1/4 of the time the old speedair you have did.
Dave

WZ JUNK

I am going to look at the valves in the old pump this weekend.  I will look into repairing it first.  I have a friend who purchased the harbor freight one and he really likes it so I may go that route later.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

58 Yeoman

Years ago, my 5hp, 60 gallon Farm and Fleet compressor threw a valve.  I miked the piece that was left, and made one out of a feeler gauge.  It's been working since.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

whizzer24

I used one something like this from harbor freight a few years ago it has to run the opposite direction of my campbell hausfeld  6 hp 60 gal. just something you might want to check.

Crosley.In.AZ

I've been told the more cast iron a air pump has the better it will last.

My Speedaire dual stage unit is over 22 yrs old.  It still runs great
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)