bad air and fuel leak question on a edelbrock 1405 carb

Started by 73pwrwgn, September 26, 2007, 03:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73pwrwgn

well I'm having some troubles I have this carb on a 360 dodge motor the truck has a horrible idle likes to diesel smells like fuel but seems to run just fine after I accelerate and I'm driving I noticed that theres a little fuel leaking from the shaft that the secondaries are on and I had suspected maybe a vacume leak so I put a piece of hose to my ear and listened around and I can hear air leaking from the throttle rod on the choke side and when I look in the carb I can see fuel just sitting In one corner of the secondaries can anyone tell me is it the air leak that would make the motor run like that? Is the carb fixable ? should I be leaking air around there? also the side where I can hear the air leak I tried to adjust my idle/air mixture and that side wont change engine I can go all the way lean or rich and doesnt change anything any info would be greatly appreciated

enjenjo

Take the carb off, and check the manifold where the carb bolts on. Carter OE carbs had a vacuum passage that the Edelbrock base does not cover, causes just the problem you are having. Either epoxy up the hole, or use two gaskets with a seperator plate that will cover the hole.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

73pwrwgn

Quote from: "enjenjo"Take the carb off, and check the manifold where the carb bolts on. Carter OE carbs had a vacuum passage that the Edelbrock base does not cover, causes just the problem you are having. Either epoxy up the hole, or use two gaskets with a seperator plate that will cover the hole.
well I have the edelbrock performer manifold on the engine

EMSjunkie

I hafta agree with Enjenjo. check the manny-fold :wink:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Quotewell I have the edelbrock performer manifold on the engine

Well, that shot that theory. :shock:

I am still leaning for a vacuum leak. Behind the choke is a passage that is open to vacuum. If the seal is missing from that, it could cause this problem.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.