some progress on my shop

Started by J Man, September 12, 2007, 08:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

27oakland

As far as shop lights I want to run some round lights that will work in cold weather, anyone have any suggestions? I will not be able to get heat in the building till next year.[/quote]

Check with your local electrical supply house. They make a highbay and lowbay fixture for industrial applications depending on the height of your ceiling. I would recommend metal halide low bay fixtures. You can get them in different wattages and with multi-tap ballasts for different voltages. 3 or 4  400 watt lowbays will light it up in there. Metal halide produces a bright white light. While high pressure sodium has an orange/yellow effect. (Avoid HPS)
These fixtures take awhile to come up to full power so you might want a few regular incandescents around the entrance/exits.
Also if you go to leave the building and shut the lowbay fixtures off they will take 10 to 20 minutes to come back on.
Some are equipped with what is called a quartz restrike and they will come on faster. So you could put one near the door for general lighting.
Again check with the supply house and ask the lighting guy to help.
They should have some other options for ya.

Dave

Quote from: "KustomLincolnLady"cool post, your both members of team smart correct  :lol:

Debb

Debb im confused on this.. Have you seen this guys daughter..  :?: Do you think she is hot :?:
Dave :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:

Mac

Quote from: "Woody2B"Do a search for "Supertherm".  I was watching Bob Villa over the weekend and they were spraying this on the outside of a home made from discarded steel shipping containers.  It appears to be the same thing as Lizard Skin, ceramic microspheres suspended in a urethane, only white.  R19 in the thickness of a credit card and waterproof.  I didn't dig long enough to find a price...probably only $30 bucks a gallon instead of $180 for two!!! :lol: I will think about using on my car when I get to that point.

I looked around some on-line but could not find a site with pricing.
Do you know of sources (preferably) on the right hand side of the US?
Thanks
Who\'s yer Data?

J Man

Quote from: "27oakland"As far as shop lights I want to run some round lights that will work in cold weather, anyone have any suggestions? I will not be able to get heat in the building till next year.

Check with your local electrical supply house. They make a highbay and lowbay fixture for industrial applications depending on the height of your ceiling. I would recommend metal halide low bay fixtures. You can get them in different wattages and with multi-tap ballasts for different voltages. 3 or 4  400 watt lowbays will light it up in there. Metal halide produces a bright white light. While high pressure sodium has an orange/yellow effect. (Avoid HPS)
These fixtures take awhile to come up to full power so you might want a few regular incandescents around the entrance/exits.
Also if you go to leave the building and shut the lowbay fixtures off they will take 10 to 20 minutes to come back on.
Some are equipped with what is called a quartz restrike and they will come on faster. So you could put one near the door for general lighting.
Again check with the supply house and ask the lighting guy to help.
They should have some other options for ya.[/quote]

I went to Lowes and they wer supposed to check on some lights for me but a week later no call from them. Ihave had the same thoing happen there with other things I was looking for. I will have to see if there are any building supply places in Toledo or Ft. Wayne.

27oakland

I went to Lowes and they wer supposed to check on some lights for me but a week later no call from them. Ihave had the same thoing happen there with other things I was looking for. I will have to see if there are any building supply places in Toledo or Ft. Wayne.[/quote]

The lights you are looking for are more commercial/industrial than what the home cheapo or other building supply places may stock.
You may have to go to an electrical supply house. I know some of the supply houses in the Kalamazoo area have locations in Fort Wayne. Take a look at Kedall, Allphase, Graybar, or possibly Grainger.
Good luck with your search.

J Man

Thanks for the heads up. Once I am back to work I will have to look them up and get some.