My mushrooming trip.

Started by purplepickup, May 14, 2004, 11:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

Does that cabin meet code? I would have thought that building such a bare bones dwelling would have somehow been illegal - even in '79.....

I gotta tell ya, I'm impressed....and thanks for your candor.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Sean

Quote from: "purplepickup"And Sean, no I didn't have a .50 Hawken but I did have a Thompson Center .54 cal Renegade.  I never saw the movie "The Mountain Men" but it sounds like I should watch it.

I used to have a Thompson Center .45  Hawken. Used it in Blackpowder competition when I was a teenager. My Grandpa builds Blackpowder Rifles in the traditional styles. He buys the Barrel, triggers, and lock, but does everything else by hand. Usually ends up with 5 or 6 months in each rifle, but they are works of art...

If you liked Jerimiah Johnson, you'll love "The Mountain Men". Charlton Heston and Brian Keith are the main actors. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081187/

purplepickup

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Does that cabin meet code?

Uh, codes?......ummm..... :roll:  You've got to remember this is back in the sticks. The area is zoned recreational which allows for a lot of basic stuff like outhouses and less than residential structures but I never asked about details and nobody ever came around to check.  I think I can probably claim to be grandfathered now since they don't really know when it was built.  They're just glad I pay my taxes on time.

I've never tried to get insurance on it so I don't know if it meets their requirements or not.  Probably not with the woodstove, oil lamps, lack of handrails, smoke detectors, etc. :?
George

Ohio Blue Tip

Very impressive George.  I knew you had hand built your cabin but hadn't seen the pictures.  I always thought I was born 150 years late and thought if born earlier I would have been a mountain man.  I've always fished, hunted and done some wilderness camping.  When I was in high school I ran a trap line for extra money.  You have completed what most can only dream about, enjoy the fruits of your labor and "live long and prosper". :b-d:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

GPster

He chaplin, Maybe you can stay over on the next trailer build and hold service on Sunday morning. The first time it cost me $85.00 to cross the railroad tracks and try to get to church on time, This past weekend I found the church on time and after mass there was a trail trying to keep me from leaving. If you held service in Franks garage then I could stay on the "wrong side of the tracks". That cabin is quite an accomplishment. Growing up near the New York metropolitan area the closest I got to that stuff was Lincoln Logs. GPster

Seeing your previous buddies in the photos got me thinking....I bet Murph really likes the trips to the cabin!The heck with talking about cars...the next time you and I meet,I want to hear some cabin stories.I bet they are best told around a campfire with a cold one in hand :P
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

phat rat

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "phat rat"
Young Pup! :lol:

:arrow: ========== Geezer

:wink:

YEP :D  :D
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

SKR8PN

WOW George......the fact you built that cabin by hand,without any help,is impressive,to say the least. I have always had the dream of building my own cabin and living "off the grid".  You are  the first person I have met,that actually did it! Thanks very much for sharing that part of your life with us. Merf is a very lucky dog.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.