Can you swap spindles?

Started by 48ford, September 26, 2007, 10:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

Can this be done?
My youngest has a ford granada,that he uses for drag racing.
He wants to switch it over to a manual rack&pinion set up.
But the car is a rear steer and a mustang rack is front steer.So he ask me "why can't I just move the spindles side to side.
I said you will not have steering stops.
Any one have ideas to help him out?
Thanks Russ

Bib_Overalls

For one, the Ackerman will be all screwed up which means the front tires will "push" in tight turns.

If he is racing he should consider one of the after market kits to put in a complete Mustang II based front suspension.  Takes a lot of weight off the front and gives you R&P steering and room for headers.

Fitting R&P to a conventionally steered car is more involved than simply fabricating brackets and bolting it in.  If the various relationships are not right you can kill yourself or at least,  scare the crap out of your self.

Fatman sells some Cavalier based retrofit steering systems for Fords.  Don't know if they make one for your application.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Crosley.In.AZ

is an Omni R&P a rear steer deal?

8)  8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"is an Omni R&P a rear steer deal?

8)  8)

Yes it is.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

dragrcr50

for what its worth , we have done a couple of fairlains and a couple of 60's falcons and the mustang two deal works great and stops and just overall is good , but if you are using a ford motor its a * to get it all to fit  because of the front sumkp pan being tight in the rack  area... chevy motor is great but a 302 or 251 or a 427 is  pretty tight at bst... good luck
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

unklian

Find a rear steer rack.Should be common on FWD late models.

Quote from: "48ford"Can this be done?
My youngest has a ford granada,that he uses for drag racing.
He wants to switch it over to a manual rack&pinion set up.
But the car is a rear steer and a mustang rack is front steer.So he ask me "why can't I just move the spindles side to side.
I said you will not have steering stops.
Any one have ideas to help him out?
Thanks Russ