Getting the blue color off of AN fittings?

Started by seadog, September 14, 2007, 04:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadog

I have some -6 AN fittings that I'm going to use in hooking up the fuel line.  I've heard that it is possible to strip the blue off of them, leaving a shiny aluminium finish.  What is used to get the blue off?  Somebody told me to use whitewall cleaner and I've been soaking the fittings in whitewall cleaner for about half an hour now and there is no change.  What gives?

flt-blk

I heard oven cleaner will remove anodizing but have never tried it myself.
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

Bob C

Oven cleaner will work, it takes a while. Aeroquip makes ends now without colored anodizing.

34ford

Quote from: "Bob C"Oven cleaner will work, it takes a while. Aeroquip makes ends now without colored anodizing.

I tried the easy off oven cleaner and haven't much success with it. It kinda etched the metal a bit. The best way I found is to buff it off with compound. Start with the a course one to get off the color and then buff it out with the compound for the aluminium.

Glen

Spray the oven cleaner in a coffe can so it puddles in the bottom corner then throw you AN fittings in and swirl it around.

They will turn black if you leave them in too long, pull them out, hose them off and the tarnish will rub off with a rag.

papastoyss

I bought a bottle of white powder at a swap from a co. that sells buffing supplies. There was no label except warning to use in a well ventilated area, so I can't tell what it actually is. I think most vendors who sell buffing supplies carry this, as I see it at most swaps. I have used it & it works well but heed warnings , it puts off some nasty fumes.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

purplepickup

Quote from: "papastoyss"I bought a bottle of white powder at a swap from a co. that sells buffing supplies. There was no label except warning to use in a well ventilated area, so I can't tell what it actually is. I think most vendors who sell buffing supplies carry this, as I see it at most swaps. I have used it & it works well but heed warnings , it puts off some nasty fumes.
I'd guess that the white powder is pure sodium hydroxide (lye) which is the active ingredient in a lot of oven cleaners.
George

seadog

[I tried the easy off oven cleaner and haven't much success with it. It kinda etched the metal a bit. [/quote]

Hey guys, thanks to all who replied.  I tried oven cleaner...left the fitting overnight in a zip loc bag into which I sprayed a liberal dose of oven cleaner.  It totally hosed the fitting.  The anodizing came off, so did the uderlying finish.  I guess the answer is NOT to leave it in the oven cleaner overnight.  Oh well, I was just following that old adage, Too much is just about right.  I solved the prob;em by getting a steel fiting.  Live and learn.

Cword

There is no underlying finish to anodizing.  Anodizing is an aluminium oxide coating that is essentially "grown" from the aluminium surface.
--

seadog

Quote from: "Cword"There is no underlying finish to anodizing.  Anodizing is an aluminium oxide coating that is essentially "grown" from the aluminium surface.

You're right, it didn't erode the underlying finish...more like etched it good, to the point that it was very rough and pitted.  Sort of like the surface of the moon.

Glen

Quote from: "Glen"Spray the oven cleaner in a coffe can so it puddles in the bottom corner then throw you AN fittings in and swirl it around.

They will turn black if you leave them in too long, pull them out, hose them off and the tarnish will rub off with a rag.

Should I have added this only takes about a minute?