broken bolt removal artical link

Started by wayne petty, September 30, 2007, 01:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

Quote from: "wayne petty"http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/may2003/techtotech.htm

there are some more great articals there also...

so only 20 people have had a broken bolt????

UGLY OLDS

Ohhhhh.. :!:  :!: I See.........It's a link about broken  HARDWARE  :!:   :shock:   :wink: ( All I saw was "Broken Bolt" & I thought it had something to do with Dave or Frank or one of the other "Senior" feller's...) There's some neat idea's in there Wayne..Thank's for the post.... );b(
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

wayne petty

most of the stuff i post is usefull.

i have been a professional mechanic for almost 30 years...and yet i still screw up..

i fixed a 260/280z that belonged to one of the bosses brothers,  it had been though the shop a bunch of times for the same reason, engine dies after 30 minutes of driving. wait 10 and it will run 10.. again and again..

they had changed everything.. dist, (nothing inside of that one) injectors, relays, fusable links, fuel pumps,

i threw a timing light on the coil wire. placed it on the windshield with a piece of tape holding the trigger on,  a scrap of cardboard behind the throttle stop to keep it at fast idle and closed the hood... i stood there with my hands on the fender watching the light and taking to the brother... when it died i was watching.. no light as it slowed to a stop. told me ignition failure...but the dizzy has no guts... just the pickup coil and reluctor and they were new..no diagram on that exact year..  so i pulled the ecm from the drivers kick panel. opened it and found burned resister ends. (where it passes though the circut board.) i normally fix these but i did not have my soldier station that day.. i placed it on the counter and since it was time to leave i left..  the next day i got yelled at by the bosses..  it was the strangest thing i have ever encountered in my life.

it was saturday morn about 11 am.. both bosses had been into coniac and coffey.

one of them takes me aside and tells me that i really screwed up, dont ever touch a customers car without being told to. it went down hill from there...

except .. intermixed with the yelling i was getting were the complements "i respect you so much as a mechanic. and i love you like a son and you are the best mechanic i have ever meet.  and back to how much i screwed up. i guess it was the coniac... i did not know if i should run or hug the guy...   he had been under stress...  his wife had gotten into their retirement accounts.  and transfered 4 million dollars out of the country with her. so i cannot blame him.. but i still smile when i think about it... and i still stick my nose in some times where it not wanted to get the job done right... i have even stopped and given away a jack stand to some guy on a street under a car whos kids were watching him...

Carps

Quote from: "wayne petty"i have been a professional mechanic for almost 30 years...and yet i still screw up...

So what makes you think you should be different to the rest of us?   :wink:

Besides, isn't regular 'screwing up' a prerequisite for membership to Team Smart.    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Crosley.In.AZ

interesting stuff.

some times I get a bolt out easy , sometimes not so easy.

The tool "easy out"  is the most mis-named tool ever.

:lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

Quote from: "Crosley"interesting stuff.

some times I get a bolt out easy , sometimes not so easy.

The tool "easy out"  is the most mis-named tool ever.

:lol:

good thought tony...

there are many types of easy outs and if used improperly they will break stuff...

i use straight fluted ones mostly...
left hand drill bits... carbide scribes. and i buy 1/8" drills in bulk...

straight fluted easy outs do not expand the part being removed. if removing broken brass fittings straight is the way to go.

spiraled easy outs expand the parts and can break the aluminum tranny cases. for steel fittings in steel it works great... they were designed to remove broken pipes.

i even have a tight twist easy out it looks like it's threaded. 3/16" tip 3/8" at the fat end.  i use that one to remove broken dip stick tubes from engine blocks.  lightly  tapping it in . then getting it to spin, then i drive a nut on it and stack washers or nuts so it threads in a little and lifts the broked tube out of the block at a time.. it is so much faster than dropping the pan ..