Deuce 5-Windo Door Glass Install? How's This Go?

Started by RottenRodney, September 18, 2007, 01:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RottenRodney

Oh great, stumped again.  Got the glass all cut for the coupe, now if I could just figger out how to git it in the hole.  

Okay, the regulator is out and both vertical felts are in.  With glass in hands, who knows the approach?  From the bottom?  From the top?  On one side or the other?  The glass just don't wanna go in the hole.

Thanks!

RR

rooster

On my 37 I had to place the glass in threw the bottom, small end first, then turn glass in right direction, then up the guides, I taped the glass in the up position then installed the regulator. This might work for you.

Dave

Quote from: "rooster"On my 37 I had to place the glass in threw the bottom, small end first, then turn glass in right direction, then up the guides, I taped the glass in the up position then installed the regulator. This might work for you.

Did mine from the top the turned it a little to get it started.. You may have to put in at the top and turn if down at the bottom ..If thats a glass body or even steel run some tape across the the tops of the doors and down inside a bit. You would be suprised how easy you can scratch the glass.
Dave

UGLY OLDS

Not sure on a Deuce , but with the later cars the felts ,( or channels ) , are left loose ..The glass goes between them & gets inserted in the door as an assembly.....The glass then hides inside the door while you attach the top part of the channels & gets taped in the "closed" position when securing the lower part of the channel.... Be SURE any screwheads or pop-rivit heads are BELOW the surface of the felt inside the channel.... ANY metal touching the edge of the glass will cause it to "run" ,( if laminated ) , or "explode" ,( if tempered...)   Jus my .02    :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Not sure on a Deuce , but with the later cars the felts ,( or channels ) , are left loose ..The glass goes between them & gets inserted in the door as an assembly.....The glass then hides inside the door while you attach the top part of the channels & gets taped in the "closed" position when securing the lower part of the channel.... Be SURE any screwheads or pop-rivit heads are BELOW the surface of the felt inside the channel.... ANY metal touching the edge of the glass will cause it to "run" ,( if laminated ) , or "explode" ,( if tempered...)   Jus my .02    :wink:

Bob thats definately an option ive had to do that also....
Dave

47 ragtop

Remove the felts,they go in last. The glass and lower channel assembly go in thru the top. Rotate the assembly 1/4 turn and carefully start  installing thru the top, rotating back as the assembly is going in. Then install the regulator thru the opening on the side and slide it onto the lower channel assembly. Then bolt the regulator in place and lastly install the felts. I prefer to glue them in w/gorilla snot rather than screws or rivets but either will work. If you have not mated the glass to the lower channel try this method. Slide the lower channel onto the regulator and install them thru the inner panel hole. Bolt the regulator in place. Roll the channel near the top and fill about 1/2 full of black silicone. Then feed the glass thru the top of the door into the channel and lightly seat the glass in place. Now the glass is glued inthe channel rather than set w/glass tape.It is a good idea to tape the top of the door for protection w/either method. Good Luck !!

RottenRodney

Quote from: "47 ragtop"Remove the felts,they go in last.

Sounds like you've been there/done that.  Thanks!  That's what I was lookin' for.  I'll pull the felts and try it your way today.

RR

Deuce

On a 32 3W ... not a 5W ...  :)

The glass goes in @ a 90 degree angle and then turn it up correct. Install the window channel, slide the window in the channel and then the window regulator ... ( and it makes you use most all the bad words ...  :oops:  )

It went the same on a Tudor sedan but I have NOT done a 5W  8)
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

RottenRodney

High Randy!  Marlene wants to ask ya sumpthin': Whut's new in Hollywood?   :D

Arright chew guys; here's what I had time for today:

On 47ragtop's advice, I pulled the felts back outta the way and also removed the rear channel.  Funny how the glass slips right in that way.   :oops:

Anyway, I fumbled and flobbled around with it and it seems best to attach the rear felt to the rear channel, fold over the little tangy thang on the bottom where it pokes through Henry's hole, and slide the complete rear channel and felt assy in together from top to bottom.  No pun intended, but am I on track?  Things are real tight.  I'm thinkin' I might aughtta put a little tension on the lower windo track with a bungee cord or sumpthin' to keep it tight forward.  Maybe I can slide the rear track and channel in some more tomorrow.  

Look, if I'm doin' anything wrong here, please lemmie know.  Glass ain't my area.  I swear I built the rest of this thing -- with a little help from my friends.

To be continued and continued and continued, etc.  Thanks again!

RR

river1

hey rodney

that thing is SWEET

did you see the three window in don's pleasanton coverage? similar color, don took like 11 pics of it. he must of like it a little.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

DRD57

LLoyd Bakkan coupe, this years Pebble Beach winner.

RottenRodney

Thanks, Jim.  High Don!  That is indeed a tasty little 3-windo.  I think that's the most pitchers of one car Eye've ever seen at Don's Hot Rod Page.   :)

Oh, I've almost got the glass thing sorted out.  One is in and functionin' just fine.  The second is gunna be a breeze.  Now that I know how to do it, I think I'll go into business -- just buildin' roadsters.

Check this out:

Earlier in this thread, I believe I mentioned help from my friends.  Well, my Friend Mark is as talented and enthusiastic a glazier as ya'd ever hope to find.  What I'm attemptin' to show yawl in the above pitcher is the finely polished edges on the glass.  It's a little thing that we don't usually think about, but what a difference it makes when yer lookin' down at the opened door-glass once it's installed in the car.  Mark (Deadeye Glass in San Bernardino, CA) is the only glazier I've ever know that'd take it to this extreme.  Eye can't stop lookin' through it.  In person, it's three Os worth of coool.

Thanks again' yawl.  I appreciate the help I'm gittin' here.

RR

rumrumm

I think you nailed it, Rodney. That's a great looking car! Very cool!!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com