Spindle nut cover info needed

Started by kb426, September 04, 2007, 10:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

The front hubs on the 32 measure 1.820 where the dust cap fits. Does anybody know what car that matches or where I might find a pair of dust caps? I found 1.94 and 1.78 but nothing in between.
TEAM SMART

Charlie Chops 1940

What kind of hubs are they? '37-41, 4'42-48, F-1, F-100,  Econoline, somebody's aftermarket.......

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

kb426

I believe I have a Magnum brake kit. These are mopar bolt pattern. I bought a complete front end from Classic Street Rods in California and most parts came in unmarked boxes. When I called them, they don't have the covers. They suggested I call TCI. TCI says they're volare. I've measured 2 volare caps at the parts store and they are too small.
TEAM SMART

Dave

Quote from: "kb426"I believe I have a Magnum brake kit. These are mopar bolt pattern. I bought a complete front end from Classic Street Rods in California and most parts came in unmarked boxes. When I called them, they don't have the covers. They suggested I call TCI. TCI says they're volare. I've measured 2 volare caps at the parts store and they are too small.

Speedway lists about 3 different sizes and the next one is over 2".. On a long shot what about chucking up your rotors in a lathe and open that diamater up for the bigger ones? You can get all the sizes on speedways site just search dust cap. I had that same problem with a set of rotors years ago and ill be damed if i can remember what caps i used. The other option is a pair of dial calipers and the help section of the auto parts store. The usually have a few different sizes. If I can remember ill look tonite as im heading out for a battery box and battery for the roadster so i can fire the engine again.
Dave

Dave

ok here ya go...
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_69038_-1
I went back and researched that number and it says 1.790 or what ever but jegs says its 1.890? beats me
Dave

wayne petty

there are a 6 differnt caps listed at

www.dormanproducts.com   when you search for dust caps..

1-25/32. and  1-31/32 are listed to fit volari's

i know that both of those sizes do not match what you measured... but i just had to stick my foot in. i keep dreaming of a lathe so i can metal spin little parts like these.      hmm... i could even make a ...

Dave

Quote from: "wayne petty"there are a 6 differnt caps listed at

www.dormanproducts.com   when you search for dust caps..

1-25/32. and  1-31/32 are listed to fit volari's

i know that both of those sizes do not match what you measured... but i just had to stick my foot in. i keep dreaming of a lathe so i can metal spin little parts like these.      hmm... i could even make a ...

Wayne having started in the tool making business at age 13 ive done enuff that id rather buy some caps then whittle em out on a lathe. I guess the main reason is time involved and they get covered up anyway. Now that being said if I just couldnt find any the id have a pretty dandy set of aluminum ones on my car.. On the new roadster build ive been buying a lot of stainless hardware and making stainless specialty stuff just because. Its the little things. If youve ever fooled with an alan grove alternator mount you would know that where it mounts to the intake with 2 bolts they make it high as to be more universal and they give you a ton of 3/8 cad plated washers to fill the gap :?:  Aint happening i made stainless one piece ones.. But its a lot easier and quicker job that making dust covers..
Dave :wink:

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

C9

I gave up trying to find a dust cap for my 50 Plymouth coupe - all stock fwiw.

Found some trailer caps that were close so I bored the Plymouth hub to fit.

In retrospect, maybe I should have put the boat trailer external lube caps on the Plymouth.... :lol:
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

kb426

I called Pete and Jakes today. He mentions the same 13975 that keeps coming up. I ask what it measures. He says" the little bumps measures 1.818". Bingo! The catalog doesn't mention the size with the bumps, just the root diameter. I'm pretty sure this is the correct one so I ordered 2. Tomorrow I get to see if it's right or I'm about to fire up the lathe. Thanks guys.
TEAM SMART

Dave

Quote from: "kb426"I called Pete and Jakes today. He mentions the same 13975 that keeps coming up. I ask what it measures. He says" the little bumps measures 1.818". Bingo! The catalog doesn't mention the size with the bumps, just the root diameter. I'm pretty sure this is the correct one so I ordered 2. Tomorrow I get to see if it's right or I'm about to fire up the lathe. Thanks guys.

Ya know i wondered about that.. Maybe if naw...  :?:  :?:  :?:  The engineer that came up with the measuring system on that S*(T is surely dead cause im positive id have killed him for doing that. :!:  On another note I went to autozone today cause they had a pretty good battery deal.. 7 years and 3 free replacement. Hell I dont keep anything that long so dont start but the price was lookin good. I pull in and wtf the lot is like full :?:  :?:  :?:  They got em 3 wide at the counter and everyone (buyers and sellers) have thier heads in thier azzes.. Well 95 bucks later i walked outta advance with a battery.  I just went to the rack and looked and grabbed one and took it to the counter and said dont worry heres my phone number for warranty and no i dont have a core..  Came home put the torque converter bolts in and new oil filter and oil and ill fire it the next few days..  Oh ya anyone need torque converter bolts? with the nuts .. ha ha i found i could buy a lifetime supply grade 8 from mc master carr for what jegs or summit wanted plus handling :?:  remember free shipping ... Ya right.. Anyway 3/8 24 x5/8 and lock nuts i have em in stock.. Prolly free for postal rates..
Dave

wayne petty

Wayne having started in the tool making business at age 13 ive done enuff that id rather buy some caps then whittle em out on a lathe. I guess the main reason is time involved and they get covered up anyway. :  Aint happening i made stainless one piece ones.. But its a lot easier and quicker job that making dust covers..
Dave :wink:[/quote]

i was thinking about spinning some flat sheet into a pair. when i was a kid i visited moon equipment in norwalk..  talk about metal spinning...looked easy too me. nothing mechanical  I have tryed so far is hard to do.   two years ago at the shop the body man was beating on a steel bumper reinforcement tryng to straighten it... he had been beatting on it with a 6 or 7 pound slege hammer... as a joke i yelled over to him get a bigger hammer....he threw up his hands... then i pulled the 17 pound circus slege hammer out of my trunk.... two hits was all it took.

wvcab

if the cap doesnt fit, try the rear axle caps for 93-95 plymouth voyager, they fit my volaire hubs.