The whole truth and nothing but the truth..974 B'ville Story

Started by 1FATGMC, September 06, 2007, 11:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

I finished the 2007 story about our (Hooley's 974 Stude) exploits both on and off the salt and there are two videos of the Thursday 243 mph run and Friday's .........well read the story and click on the video links at the end of the story (bottom of the page if you can't read or don't want to).

----- CLICK HERE -----  

c ya,

Sum

enjenjo

All I can say is that Hooley has to have Nads like that picture of Jim to drive that fast on that track.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

nicely done sumner );b(  );b(

except :wink:  you need a comma in this sentence.

The exit speed was also 243 mph better than the 241 from the previous year and he did this with less 100% throttle time than in 2006.

unless of course hooley went 484 mph :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

and 1 other thing you could add, this picture was taken as the engine died from sucking in water. he was LUCKY enough to get it restarted with hydro-lock.

no big deal, really. still better then i would do :oops:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Charlie Chops 1940

Excellent write-up Sum. Almost like being there...almost. Two years in a row to Lewis Lodge - WOW, for everyone.

You guys did a wonderful job of recovering from a situation that would stop many. Makes me think of my drag racing days when we ran a 6 cylinder gasser. Good to see that the old guys can still thrash with the best of 'em. Top  drawer in my book.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

teal32

Never knew much about racin' on the salt. Great write-up. I believe I'm hooked now. Thanks again.
Your drug test came back positive...Welcome aboard!

Don\'t get to close....I\'m alergic to stupid

1FATGMC

Quote from: "river1"nicely done sumner );b(  );b(

except :wink:  you need a comma in this sentence.

The exit speed was also 243 mph better than the 241 from the previous year and he did this with less 100% throttle time than in 2006.

unless of course hooley went 484 mph :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

and 1 other thing you could add, this picture was taken as the engine died from sucking in water. he was LUCKY enough to get it restarted with hydro-lock.

no big deal, really. still better then i would do :oops:

later jim

Oh you newspaper guys  :twisted: .  Actually I think there was more wrong with that sentence than the coma.  I changed it and added your comment about the car in the water, but had to edit it also  :wink: .

Quote from: "enjenjo"All I can say is that Hooley has to have Nads like that picture of Jim to drive that fast on that track.

Frank I think Hooley borrowed the ones that Jim found at Wal-mart,

Sum

HotRodLadyCrusr

GREAT writeup Sum!  Kinda feels like I was there :wink:

There's something special about that place and when you can spend your time there with special people, well just makes life AWESOME.

Thanks Sumner for all you do for all of us.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

sirstude

Sum,

Thanks for the great writup.  Since I wasn't down this year, I really missed the happenings.  Planning on being down next year again.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Cword

Hey Sum  
I really enjoyed your write up.  It feels great reading it, and so I've forwarded links on to a few friends and relatives.

Mom has a digital picture frame in her living room which I loaded with hiking and Bonneville pictures they can't stop talking about what a wonderful trip this year was.

Thanks!

Mike
--

Crosley.In.AZ

does the car run on 'spec fuel' ... I noticed the comment bout the tank being sealed.

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"does the car run on 'spec fuel' ... I noticed the comment bout the tank being sealed.

We run a gas class and have to use one of the event gases available at the fuel truck.  When they fill the tank they seal the tank and seal the lines from the tank with tape and paint.  We have to go to them with either an empty tank or a sealed one.

When we go into impound and need more gas we take a gas can to the fuel truck and they fill it and seal it.  Then back in impound with an inspector watching we break the seal on the main tank and the gas can and fill the tank.  Then he re-seals the tank.

We also had to do this with the water injection as we could only have water in it and not the more come water/alcohol mixture.  We brought sealed water at the grocery store and they watched us fill with that and Hooley had to drink some.  Then they sealed the water tank on the car.

c ya,

Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

Sum,

thanks for the explanation on fuel and water injection. I had an idea that was the process.

Lets talk about the spin Hooley had on friday... as you state the track was going a away.

I also wonder IF these high speed spins are an indication of that "Center of pressure point"  being in the wrong place or slightly off.

Or simply as it sounded like Hooley said in the spin out  video that the rear end washed out?  You guys added some more weight to the car before that run?

Makes me wonder if the front tires were plowing the salt slightly and the rear tires lost enough traction to destabilize the car?

just thinkin out loud here.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"Sum,

thanks for the explanation on fuel and water injection. I had an idea that was the process.

Lets talk about the spin Hooley had on Friday... as you state the track was going a away.

I also wonder IF these high speed spins are an indication of that "Center of pressure point"  being in the wrong place or slightly off.

Or simply as it sounded like Hooley said in the spin out  video that the rear end washed out?  You guys added some more weight to the car before that run?

Makes me wonder if the front tires were plowing the salt slightly and the rear tires lost enough traction to destabilize the car?

just thinkin out loud here.

8)

Tony the bad thing is we are not real sure where we are with the car right now in regards to CP (center of pressure) and CG (center of gravity).  The car was weighed by John and Hooley I believe before the scoop went on and was pretty much 50/50 with more weight on one side vs. the other and was about 3000 lbs.

There isn't much we can do about the CP with the rules.  The rear spill plates (fins on the side of the spoiler) are almost as large as the rules permit.  There are skirts below the quarter panels that John made that are also as large as permitted.  Adding the scoop on the hood moved the CP forward some (not good), but also going to the weight of the blower hopefully also moved the CG ahead some and we hope those were a wash.

But what you want is the CG ahead of the CP (for an explanation go to http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bville%20-%20LSR%20Thoughts-4.html ).  So no matter where the CP is we can work on the CG by where we add weight.  When he spun last year we added about 800 lbs. to the pockets in front of the rear axle and right behind him on both sides.  Even though this weight is near the middle of the car it is more biased towards the rear axle, so any weight we add there is moving the CG rearward.  Again not good.

Over the winter Hooley made mounts to add weight to the nose of the car and we added about 150 lbs right over where a front axle would be if we had one.  There was also a mount to add another 100 lbs ahead of there but we left that weight out.

Before he ran on Thurs. we added 200 more lbs that we had with us to the pockets in the sides of the car.  We also talked about more in the front, but were afraid that might cantilever some of the weight we had put mid-ship back off, so we didn't add that weight.

Ok, by now (Thurs.) the track is tore up a lot worst than when he ran on Sat..  He barely makes it to the 5 without pulling the chute, but does good enough to qualify for the record and go to impound.  The next morning on that run it just caught up with us and the car got out from underneath him.  Sometimes no matter how good the car is the track just isn't there and we probably should park it.  That was the case in 2005 and at the end of the week this year.

He is going to try and scale the car the way it is right now.  That should help us get back in the right direction.  We also want to add a lot more weight for next year.  Most of the Studes that have exceeded 250 weigh between 5000 and 6000 lbs.  He will probably replace some of the belly pan with 1/4 to 3/8 inch steel plate.

If you are interested I just put up a page on the data that we data log with graphs and what I think it means and why I think it backs up the fact that the track went away.  You can find that here:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-2007%20data%20logs.html

Does any of this make any sense??

Sum

kb426

Makes lots of sense. The salt isn't easy. When you watch what happens with various classes, anyone that can set a new record needs to be congratulated because lots of racers have tried before you.
TEAM SMART

1FATGMC

Quote from: "kb426"Makes lots of sense. The salt isn't easy. When you watch what happens with various classes, anyone that can set a new record needs to be congratulated because lots of racers have tried before you.

What you said got me thinking.  It isn't how fast a car you can make it is how fast a car can you make that will go fast on an ever changing surface and ever changing atmospheric conditions.

For those of you familiar with Density Altitude the salt can go from the low 4000's to the high 7000's in a matter of a couple hours.  In the same time it can go from a traction coefficient compared to pavement of .4 or less to maybe a high of .6 the traction you will see on pavement.

Yes it is a challenge,

Sum