63 Chevy PU

Started by Husker, September 06, 2007, 05:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Husker

I have a real decent 62 Chevy PU but its a long box. I am considering converting to a short box by using a newer frame.

I know I will be doing some fab work if I decide to go this route and wondered if anyone has been down this path before. What year works best if any?

Am I nuts!

I just don't want a longbox and it appears no one else does either lol.

enjenjo

73 to 87 will fit, and is the right wheelbase. The tread width is a bit wider, but will still work. The front cab mounts are in the right location, but not far enough apart, match the width on the cab mounts and it will bolt right up. Rear cab mounts are also too narrow, and 2" too low. You can make up a 2" by3" crossmember to fit the rear cab mounts, and weld it to the frame. The front core support mounts are in the right location, but too low, make up some kind of spacer. Engine and trans will fit as is, linkage is easy. A van column is an easy fit, and can be adapter to the later steering with a GM intermediate shaft. The box bolts right on no problem.

Now, you might be able to lower the front cab mounts 2" and eliminate the spacers, but check fo floor clearance on the frame first.

88 to 95 frame had a narrower tread width, about the same as the 60s models.Wheelbase is a bit longer, but you could redrill the center bolt hole to change it. Beyond that, I am no help.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

geez Frank that's all the help you can give him :lol:  Much more and you'd be building it :D
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

phat46

They just did this on one of those weekend car shows on, I think, Spike TV. They Step cut the frame and took  some out  of the box  to match. They did it a certain way on the box to look right and minimise the work, but I wasn't watching close enough to remember what they did.....Maybe Frank saw this done like 40 years ago and can tell ya which rivits to cut between..... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
P.S. you're scaring me again Frank.... :shock:

1FATGMC

Quote from: "phat rat"geez Frank that's all the help you can give him :lol:  Much more and you'd be building it :D

Besides you didn't tell him he would end up with a lot better suspension and brakes, you must be slipping in your old age  :wink: .

I have seen a couple of these done and most said it went pretty easy,

Sum

Husker

Thanks guys, this helps a bunch. Now all I need to do is get 40 over here to do the work!