1933-34 Ford Car Cowel Vent Question

Started by Dirk35, August 28, 2007, 06:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk35

I know this isnt the most traditional, but its what I have to have for use and drivability with the Family and all. So Im hoping someone can add some helpful and useful information:

Anyone Install A/C and still keep the cowel vent on a 1933-34 Ford Car? Its on a 1934 Ford Sedan to be specific. Id like to be able to keep the Vent, to use in the Fall and Spring, yet use the A/C when the Wife and Daughter are with me and during the Summer Months. On my daily, I always have the windows down and the A/C on.

Its a Vintage Air Kit with the Gen II Compac. The Tech guy said the Micro would absolutly not cool a Sedan, and tried to get me to buy the bigger one, so I went with the Middle one. The link below is a picture of the unit in Question.

http://www.vintageair.com/cat2007/16.pdf

If I have to lose the Vent, Im Ok with that, but obovosouly, if you guys came up with something clever and have crossed this path before , please let me know.

Id be much happier losing the Glove Box totally, than the Cowel Vent, but if it has to go, then so be it.

Thanks

Charlie Chops 1940

I'm not aware of how much room is available in your Ford, but I kept the cowl vent and run an older Vintage Air unit in my '40 Chevy. I mounted the unit as far to the right ast possible and as low as possible. On trips to Bonneville it rn windows down and vent open until mid day and then closed it up and ran with the air on when the 100 degree mark came up. Perfect.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

I have used a motor to power the vent, which gives you a lot more flexibility. Watson's has kits, or you can make your own using minivan rear window regulators.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Okiedokie

I understand you wanting to retain vent, I did on my 40 coupe, and my 53 F100. I also used an electric motor to operate the vents. I have never had a 34 so I don't know the room situation but I do know one thing, use the biggest evaporator you can. If that means no vent, then no vent would be my choice. Yes a vent is nice, but not near as nice as a cool car IMO. Sounds like you are planning on family being with you a lot so you need to make it as pleasant as possible. Now I do know a few guys that keep it as unpleasant as possible so they can go by themselves, that doesn't sound like you. If VA thinks you need the bigger unit then I would work towards swapping the compac back to them. [I am totally convinced that you can't go wrong with their stuff] By the way, I don't use my vents near as much as I imagined I would. Joe

Charlie Chops 1940

I would think that a moderate sized unit would do OK in a well insulated closed car. Mine is a convert and it leaks air like a sieve, but the A/C sure takes the edge off.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Okiedokie

I would agree about a moderatly sized unit. The question is what is "ok". For me ok is good and cold. I have that moderate unit in my 46 and moderatly cool is not ok with me. Joe

Deuce

:D

The Vintage Air literature says that the unit you selected cools better than a lot of full size units from other manufacturers ...

I would " Lizard Skin " the inside of the car. Plus maybe DynaMat the firewall and the floor. The roof could also use some DynaMat. A lot of heat gets thru the roof and cool gets out. Also ... use a tinted glass. NOT limo tint  :twisted:  but something with a noticeable tint.

A friend has the Generation II mini in his 32 3W ... and it will freeze you out. Even here in the Hot, Humid South. I was so impressed with how well his works ... I bought the same unit for my 32 3W coupe.

Mine is in the middle of the coupe ... and I saved the glove box. I also am using a electric motor to open the cowl vent.

My coupe is NOT yet finished ... so I cannot report how well it does or does not function ... but I know the smaller unit does great in a smaller coupe.
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?