S10 frame same but different?

Started by GPster, August 22, 2007, 09:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Here's a bunch of odd questions to further my look along. I've advertised for S10 rolling chassis and have been watching our local Bulletin Board for months. Nothing happening. I supposedly have one delt for but the "junkie" want's to keep it whole until the engine sells and he's had 3 lookers in the last month but no takers. That's been better than a month.I found a running '88 with a bad frame. I checked it out and the driver's side is bad from the back of the gas tank back. I know where there's an '91 frame that is bad on the passenger's side. I went to check this '88 out and was surprised that it was bad on the opposite side. Anyone know if these frames are the same so that I could use the good side of the '91 to repair the '88? They are both 2WD short bed pick-ups. I would need to shorten the wheelbase anyway to put this under the Jeepster so I would probably make the change at the weld seam on these frames. I picked up the information that the frames after '89 were wider to allow room for the 90 degree V6s but that doesn't mean that the back end of the frame is different. I haven't started looking at parts (shocks, springs, read end, gas tank) yet to see if I would hazzard a guess but I could hope that type and length would make it a match. Now next question. This '88 has a running 2.5 4 cylinder engine with serpentine belt in it. Can it be       down-graded to a carburated engine with regular belts? Doesn't this   "Iron Duke" engine share the bellhousing pattern with the later straight sixes, V6s and V8s? This '88 has a 5 speed and if I could use my 350 tranny behind it a 4 cylinder might be my engine of choice. I'm getting tired of doing nothing. Any information would help me to consider making an offer. Thanks. GPster

GPster