Slippig 700R4

Started by specialdel, August 20, 2007, 08:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

specialdel

Here's one for you transmission guys. I have a 1984 700R4 behind a mild SB Chevy. The problem is that at moderate to heavy throttle, the trans slips between 2-3 & 3-4 upshifts. At light throttle the upshifts are fine. The 1-2 upshift is very quick, one could call it early.

I have checked the TV cable adjustment and am using a TPI throttle adaptor for the Edelbrock carb. I did install a SS braided Lokar dipstick assembly to replace the factory unit.

I'm wondering if perhaps the Lokar dipstick is not registering the fluid level correctly (more than is actually there). I've received opinions varying from the valve body or the front pump to TV cable or dipstick. Has anyone got other suggestions/cures?

slocrow

specialdel; I'm not an expert but here's a few things I think I know. I too have the Locar dipstick with a stock pan. It's extremely hard to read. Some have suggested roughing up the end with Scotch-Brite or notching the tip so that fluid will gather in the notches, all so you can see the level better.
Are you using the factory or a Locar type TV assembly cable? I assume factory just because you didn't mention any other. I also assume you are anchoring this factory cable in either a carb mounted or manifold attached bracket. You know the type, it has about a 1" square hole with a clocking side, that this cable's outer shield snaps into. At the tranny end there is a little wire hook that the inner cable attaches too and is bolted down. A lot of times the little rubber seal gets ruptured while attaching and securing this end and is a source for a leak. While I'm mentioning it, plenty of RTV around the Locar dipstick at the trans, is also for leak prevention.
Quote from: "specialdel"I have checked the TV cable adjustment and am using a TPI throttle adaptor for the Edelbrock carb. ?
I too have an Edelbrock carb an have a "L" shaped adaptor that's attached to the carb at the throttle. It's designed specifically for geometric advantage while opening the throttle wider and wider.
Correctly adjusting the cable length is paramount. If I remember correctly there is supposed to be "zero" slack in the inner cable adjustment at WOT. Once the throttle is at rest there is some slack or better said, it's not as taught. I know from my experience that the more loose this tension, the sooner the shifts. I had the other problem of hanging, high RPM shifts . I didn't shift out of first until 25 at min throttle so I allowed a minimum amount of slack back into the TV adjustment and now things are much better. I now also shift into overdrive around 47 at med throttle where before it was more like 55.
Again, that inner cable should be tight at WOT, at least as a starting point. Improper setting will take out the trans FAST.
Hope this helps a little.......................Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Leon

What does the pressure gauge read?  You did set the tranny up with a gauge.....

Crosley.In.AZ

A common complaint on the early 700 trans.

Since I do not know how the trans was built internally;

you need a .471 or .500 main boost valve.

a large low/reverse boost valve .296

The line bias valve needs a very strong spring or blocked it in place.

Shift holes in the separator plate are another item... that would require a photo or two for proper explanation.

You could also have some excessive wear in the bore for the inner TV valve .

A TransGo HD 700 1& 2 kit works well in the early 700 trans

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

specialdel

:shock:  Boy did I open a can of worms or what? I'll try to address the responses as best I can. I have very little experience with automatics so bear with me guys. This trans was supposedly rebuilt just before I got it.

slowcrow; Reading the fluid level on the dipstick (Lokar) is indeed a real pain, I do the in & out routine at least 4 times before I'm reasonably satisfied with the fluid level. Adding fluid is a chore as well.
I do have the entire Lokar throttle cable/trans cable setup installed and adjusted according to their instructions. I fiddled
a little with cable tension but it made no difference.

Loen; I knew someone was going to ask this question sooner or later and would have to come up with common sense answer but to no avail. No, I haven't checked the trans with a pressure gauge but when you stop laughing perhaps you could provide the steps necessay to do so. I need all the help I can get.

Crosley; The tech info is way over my head but greatly appreciated, at least now I have some direction and have learned something in the process. Are you suggesting that the TransGo kit will adress the early 1-2 shift? Is this a modification to the governor or what?

To all of you; I really appreciate all of the input, I've learned that the question you don't ask is the dumbest one of all

Leon

The best article I've found to explain how everything works is at http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php