ABS question

Started by jaybee, October 14, 2007, 05:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Having an ABS issue with my '95 Ford Windstar, I hope someone can point me in the right direction.  When rolling to a normal-slow stop the ABS will sometimes cycle unexpectedly just as the car comes to a stop even though it doesn't feel as if there is any lockup.  This is well below a stop that should lock the brakes and hard stops don't seem to show any grabbiness or other issues.  The pedal feels fine in normal use and the ABS light hasn't come on.  I'm a little baffled on where to go next, any suggestions are welcome.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

wvcab

have you pulled the rotors and checked all the sensors? thats where i always start...

jaybee

Rotors are fine, pads are new, no idea how to check the sensors.

wvcab

the sensors are mounted to the backing plate with a 8mm bolt, has a single cable running into it, usaully with a plug 20" away on the frame...

each wheel has a sensor, these sensors send a variable ac signal to the hcu.  this signal is generated by a toothed sensor ring which is mounted on the axle.

to check the individual wheel sensors, unplug the sensor( conector is located on the chassis approx 20" from the wheel)  with an ohm meter check the resistance, front  sensors should be 1000-1400 ohms, rear sensors should be 800 - 1400 ohms. if they are out of range, insure they are clean, and not damaged, if still out, replace them.

the air gaps, between the sensors should be less than .070" on the front, and .005 - .045" on the rear.

the sensor on the inside of the rotor has a magnet on the end, which attract metal particals and brake dust. if you clean the crud off, most abs problems seem to go away.

also check to make sure the sensor is sticking out at 90 degrees to the backing plate, if it is bent, replace it.

the winstar, is it all wheel drive?

jaybee

Thanks for the info on checking those sensors.  I know where they are but had no idea what to do with them.