Paging Mr Crosley

Started by Bib_Overalls, August 14, 2007, 10:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bib_Overalls

Tony,

Today I scored a Turbo 200R-4.  The guy who sold it to me said it came out of a running car and he "guaranteed" it.  But from the look of the guy and of all the silicone around the pan gasket I'm thinking it will need a complete rebuild.

It is tagged CR-F and my web research indicates it cam out from behind a run of the mill Chevy 305.  Certainly not a Grand National version.

I got it and a 350 with converters for $50.  The 350 is going to a friend and I'm thinking the 200R-4 is a good candidate to replace the 350 in my roadster at some point.

So, if you were rebuilding a Turbo 200R-4 for use behind a 300 HP +/- street rod motor what upgrades would you include?

I understand this transmission can be modified to safely run without a lockup converter.  Is this a good idea for a street driven hot rod?
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"Tony,

Today I scored a Turbo 200R-4.  The guy who sold it to me said it came out of a running car and he "guaranteed" it.  But from the look of the guy and of all the silicone around the pan gasket I'm thinking it will need a complete rebuild.

It is tagged CR-F and my web research indicates it cam out from behind a run of the mill Chevy 305.  Certainly not a Grand National version.

I got it and a 350 with converters for $50.  The 350 is going to a friend and I'm thinking the 200R-4 is a good candidate to replace the 350 in my roadster at some point.

So, if you were rebuilding a Turbo 200R-4 for use behind a 300 HP +/- street rod motor what upgrades would you include?

I understand this transmission can be modified to safely run without a lockup converter.  Is this a good idea for a street driven hot rod?

run the lock up converter.

I'd use a "Super servo" from Fairbanks (or others) for 2nd gear..

increase friction count in packs where needed.

Dual feed direct drum (3rd gear)

TransGo HP kit for this trans works well

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bib_Overalls

An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks