MII strut rod Bracket Construction

Started by rooster, July 24, 2007, 09:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Yes the frame was made of two pieces there, one sleeved inside the other. Welding 1/4" to it should be no problem.

I see more clearly now how important the sweet spot is and the flexing of the bushings. :D

Will get started soon on mocking up the bracket on the car and cutting the needed pieces secure it. thanks!!!!!!!! :D

PeterR

Remember the braking force imparted into each bracket is almost half the body weight of the vehicle.   This means they have to be strong enough that you could shackle a chain to the strut holes and lift the car clear off the ground, then give it a good shaking while suspended.

This is the way I would do it.  

Plates C and D go all the way to the top of the rail to avoid "oil caning" the face of the rail and to provide good support on both sides of B
Plate B would be ¼" thick, all the others 3/16".

rooster

Quote from: PeterRRemember the braking force imparted into each bracket is almost half the body weight of the vehicle.   This means they have to be strong enough that you could shackle a chain to the strut holes and lift the car clear off the ground, then give it a good shaking while suspended.

rooster

Quote from: "PeterR"Remember the braking force imparted into each bracket is almost half the body weight of the vehicle.   This means they have to be strong enough that you could shackle a chain to the strut holes and lift the car clear off the ground, then give it a good shaking while suspended.

This is the way I would do it.  

Plates C and D go all the way to the top of the rail to avoid "oil caning" the face of the rail and to provide good support on both sides of B
Plate B would be ¼" thick, all the others 3/16".

I"m sure your bracket would be" the Mother of all brackets"! I dont know how well that
would fit in the area where I need it installed at the X Frame , frame rail  connection. I
will have to ask the person doing the welding about doing this.

There not much room where the welding is to be done. I have been removing things to
make more room, not done yet.

Also the dementions of plate have changed to 3 1/2" to have room for the bisket
washers.
Thanks for the input.

rooster

I got some new bushings (energy suspension) for the MII strut rods from Summit, there
different from what I had on the car . It looks like I need to add a washer for the
bushings to fit flat sandwiched between the bracket.
While I was out shopping the local parts store for these parts I found some made by
Moog that were like the ones I got from Summit but had the steel washers molded into
the bushing halfs,  The directions that came with the NOS Moog bushings showed that
the last bushings steel washer to go on was turned around.
Whats the right way to assemble this stuff?
And how tight should this bushing sandwich be?