283 to 302.

Started by Gilles, May 13, 2004, 02:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilles

Having a look recently on different strokes and bores of small bloc chevy I discovered that the stroke of a 283 and the bore of a 350 makes a 302.

So is it possible to rebore safely a 1964 283 sbc to 4 inches? If yes is it possible to use stock 283 conecting rods and stock 350 pistons?

This question is just because I have the pistons and can pick-up the bloc and cranckshaft for free, both needing to be reground.

:?: Gilles

tomslik

Quote from: "Gilles"Having a look recently on different strokes and bores of small bloc chevy I discovered that the stroke of a 283 and the bore of a 350 makes a 302.

So is it possible to rebore safely a 1964 283 sbc to 4 inches?

maybe,have the block sonic checked to know for sure.

If yes is it possible to use stock 283 conecting rods

yes

and stock 350 pistons?

no, the pin heigth is wrong...

This question is just because I have the pistons and can pick-up the bloc and cranckshaft for free, both needing to be reground.

why not just build a .060 283?(292)

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "Gilles"Having a look recently on different strokes and bores of small bloc chevy I discovered that the stroke of a 283 and the bore of a 350 makes a 302.

So is it possible to rebore safely a 1964 283 sbc to 4 inches? If yes is it possible to use stock 283 conecting rods and stock 350 pistons?

I have done some research, and I have several 283s.  The earlier ones, up to end of 1962, seem to be the ones with the thicker cylinder bores, and these will often go to 4".   The later ones are doubtful.  All should be sonic tested for wall thickness.  You can also get overheating problems.

The rods are all 5.7" long, but the piston pin height vary.  283 rods are very light, see if you can get some 327 'Fuellie Rods'.  You will need 302 pistons. Personally, I agree with Tom, why risk it for the sake of 2.3% capacity gain.  Easier, and safer to get those 2hp, by better attention to quench, head porting etc.

I have an interesting one going together right now for the P/UP.  It is a late 283, bored .040", and fitted with a 327 SJ crank 327 'Fuellie Rods', and 307 + .040" pistons.  It has #462 Fuelie heads and Corvette valve covers.  That is about 313ci. and I expect about 270HP and better torque.  I had a lot of this stuff, or got it quite cheaply, so I thought : 'Why not!'.  It also avoided getting another Engineering report.  It will be finished and in the P/UP later this year, so I'll post how it turns out.

If you have to buy all this stuff, it would be cheaper to build a 350.  All the early stuff is more expensive, particularly pistons.

348tripower

I have a .040 over 283 in my 35 convertible. It is stock with the exception of the over bore. I wish I had two of these so I could put one in the 37. This thing is so smooth. It sounds good and has pleanty of power for these light cars. :D
Don Colliau

jakesbackyard

Being a Ford guy....I just can't resist this....

I think it's fantastic that you guys are converting those Chevy engines to Ford numbers!

"292"   "302"   I love it.

:D  :D
Jake

tomslik

Quote from: "jakesbackyard"Being a Ford guy....I just can't resist this....

I think it's fantastic that you guys are converting those Chevy engines to Ford numbers!

"292"   "302"   I love it.

:D  :D

being a ford guy, you'd think you'd know that 302's didn't come out untill 68 while the 67 Z-28's were 302'zzzzzz

seems ford was a little behind;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

58 Yeoman

And, on the other hand, my older brother gave me a 58 Merc while I was in high school, and it had a 383 in it.  Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, who can tell? :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

And for that matter, Packard had a 352, Studebaker had a 289, and Cadillac had a 390, all before Ford :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Gilles

Thanks for the answer. This question was just because Small bloc chevy are not common here and relatively hard to find. To have the parts ship from the USA costs money so it is why before to order I prefer try all solution with what I have on hands.
The best solution for this 283 seems to order a master rebuilt kit (260$ from Northern autoparts) and rebuild it as a 283.  I now 350 parts are cheaper but it's why 350 blocs are more expensive and hard to find! I don't need a lot of power, just a stock engine with a 4 barrel and stock cam to keep the bottom end and  good gas mileage. The stock 350 in the 32 makes enough power.
I don't plan any new car project now but I'm almost sure the engine will be a small bloc chevy.
I can take the time to collect the parts for a small-bloc, plus the TH350 saved from the 32 it can make a drivetrain in advance.

:D Gilles :D